Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the limit for a toy card?

tag
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

I would say a card has a toy limit if it doesn't provide enough credit for the customer to comfortably charge and pay-in-full his monthly expenses with one payment.

If we're looking for a reasonably objective definition of "toy limit", I'd say this is it.

There's still going to be some variance based on one's lifestyle and geographic location, but this makes a good rule of thumb.

Could the average single person put all of their monthly expenses other than rent/mortgage on that card and be within that limit? If not, it's a "toy" limit.

For a college kid spending a gap year living in Thailand, that $500 Capital One card is hardly a "toy" limit since her expenses are easily going to fit within that limit.

But for any typical single person living in a mid-size or larger US city, however, the same card is probably a "toy".

As for those who adjust their perception of toy limits as their own credit limits increase, I respectfully submit that perhaps we should have a different term. When your max limit is $9000 and you get a $2000 CL on a new card, that's not really a useless limit, but it certainly feels like an affront.

Ergo, I suggest that perhaps the true bon mot for those situations is: insulting limit.  Smiley LOL

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 21 of 22
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

@TheConductor wrote:
I would say a card has a toy limit if it doesn't provide enough credit for the customer to comfortably charge and pay-in-full his monthly expenses with one payment.

If we're looking for a reasonably objective definition of "toy limit", I'd say this is it.

There's still going to be some variance based on one's lifestyle and geographic location, but this makes a good rule of thumb.

Could the average single person put all of their monthly expenses other than rent/mortgage on that card and be within that limit? If not, it's a "toy" limit.

For a college kid spending a gap year living in Thailand, that $500 Capital One card is hardly a "toy" limit since her expenses are easily going to fit within that limit.

But for any typical single person living in a mid-size or larger US city, however, the same card is probably a "toy".

As for those who adjust their perception of toy limits as their own credit limits increase, I respectfully submit that perhaps we should have a different term. When your max limit is $9000 and you get a $2000 CL on a new card, that's not really a useless limit, but it certainly feels like an affront.

Ergo, I suggest that perhaps the true bon mot for those situations is: insulting limit.  Smiley LOL

lol thank you for this. 

500 on one cards is too little for me for obv reasons. 

i pay about 1000 a month in bills not including regular spendings. 

but im just as fine as putting it through debit vs credit but im trying to build credit.

my debit card has a 10000 limit for purchases. so its like an automatic charge card =)

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.