cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point of a limit if you can go way over?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

What's the point of a limit if you can go way over?

I just got an AMEX HHonors card with a $2,000 limit. I checked the website and selected the check spending ability. I submitted a purchase for $3,000.

"

Your inquiry to spend $3000 has been APPROVED. This approval is based on your account information available at this time.
Hilton HHonors Card  - XXXXX
CREDIT LIMIT
TOTAL
Current Credit Limit
$2,000.00
Available Credit
$1,926.00"

I just got the card, if they are willing to approve me for $3,000 purchases. Why didn't they just give me a $3,000 limit. Haha, funky system they got there. Glad to know how soft the limit is.
Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the point of a limit if you can go way over?

The limit is the amount you can leave on the card from month to month, if you charge over the limit you may receive notice that payment is due in full on the amount over the limit by the statements due date. They may extend you the extra temporally, its not permission to keep the balance on your card for the next 3 years. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

The limit is the amount you can leave on the card from month to month, if you charge over the limit you may receive notice that payment is due in full on the amount over the limit by the statements due date. They may extend you the extra temporally, its not permission to keep the balance on your card for the next 3 years. 

+1  Amex may allow you to go over your limit, but you are not going to be able to carry a balance any higher than your limit.

Message 3 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Makes sense. So, basically NPSL with a revolving limit of $2000.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It is kind of like amex's version of a world MC/Visa Siggy with NPSL. You can go over the limit but anything over said limit must be PIF
Message 5 of 14
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Still I would be carefull with going over the limit on a revolver with Amex. They have their charge cards for NPSL.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 6 of 14
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Other thing to keep in mind is that if you are over the limit at statement date for four months in a year you go to default apr.
Message 7 of 14
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Try 10000 and see what they said. Hahahhaha

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Your inquiry to spend $10000 cannot be approved at this time.
This request exceeds the limit on this account. Pay Bill can assist to increase the available limit on the account.

Message 9 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@nada9188 wrote:
Other thing to keep in mind is that if you are over the limit at statement date for four months in a year you go to default apr.

I don't plan on ever going over. I actually think the APR they gave me was rather fair. Prime plus 11.99%

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.