cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the pros and cons about Authorized User?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the pros and cons about Authorized User?

My wife got her freedom yesterday but the limit is still very low, $700, which I believed is that Chase matched her first WF card. Her credit history is just 8 months longer. So, I add her to my credit card as AU so she can use my account to buy >$700 things. Anything I should pay attention to such AU things? Will it affect credit scores?or any other pros and cons?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the pros and cons about Authorized User?

It could help her AAOA and raise her scores and show the utilization would be best it was low - pros

However a lot of lenders dont include AU's for their history. Chase is one of those lenders. So if you add her it wont make a difference for Chase. - Cons

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats totally false about chase, 45days ago my mom added me as an auth user to BOA who took my social and chase who did not, chase popped up with a 29K credit limit on all 3 bureaus last monday, BOA still has not.  Pretty sure if your a sibling, wife, mom, dad etc it will find you and be on your report, if its just a friend or cousin probably not, but it willl find her. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if citi does that, I asked my step father if he could add me as AU to help me with raise my credit, we have different last name, but if I do get included by giving'em social and everything, will the card go on my credit record?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife got her freedom yesterday but the limit is still very low, $700, which I believed is that Chase matched her first WF card. Her credit history is just 8 months longer. So, I add her to my credit card as AU so she can use my account to buy >$700 things. Anything I should pay attention to such AU things? Will it affect credit scores?or any other pros and cons?

I didn't know they handed out sub 1k limits with freedom?

What score did she get approval with?

Message 5 of 13
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

My Freedom was originally approved this spring for 500$. It happens Smiley Frustrated
CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jon22guitar wrote:
My Freedom was originally approved this spring for 500$. It happens Smiley Frustrated

Even more reason for me to not apply for Chase anything yet. Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@jon22guitar wrote:

Even more reason for me to not apply for Chase anything yet. Smiley Indifferent

Yep, even Slate can get a low CL starting at $500.  Some Freedom CCs have even started around $250 in the past.

Message 8 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@stevez

I believe what skye meant, and I agree with this, is that during an application, chase does not count authorized user accounts (which appear on your reports) as credit history, since it is not yours.

IE:

I'm an AU on one of your cards. I app for csp. Your account (which is on my report because I'm an AU) doesn't mean anything to chase when they make a decision.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't know they handed out sub 1k limits with freedom?

What score did she get approval with?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.