Did you mean: 

What's the skinny with Chase cards?

tag
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the skinny with Chase cards?

dizzier wrote:
 good god! you've got fees up the wazoo!

Just the annual $60 which is well worth it if you are a hardcore UAL miles accumulator.  They do give you the first year free though and it's fairly easy to get them to credit or comp future AFs. 

You keep the miles seperate from the card.  I know a few people who have used it to get the starting bonus miles and then cancelled and re-applied to get the mile and ticket promo again.  But those are mile obsessive people, here we're FICO and credit obsessive so we would not do that.  Smiley Tongue
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 41 of 56
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

dizzier wrote:
 good god! you've got fees up the wazoo!

Just the annual $60 which is well worth it if you are a hardcore UAL miles accumulator.  They do give you the first year free though and it's fairly easy to get them to credit or comp future AFs. 

You keep the miles seperate from the card.  I know a few people who have used it to get the starting bonus miles and then cancelled and re-applied to get the mile and ticket promo again.  But those are mile obsessive people, here we're FICO and credit obsessive so we would not do that.  Smiley Tongue

They also put the miles in my UA account on the statement date,  And I am not miles obsessed - I have less than 125,000 miles spare at the moment  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 42 of 56
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:

They also put the miles in my UA account on the statement date,  And I am not miles obsessed - I have less than 125,000 miles spare at the moment  Smiley Very Happy

We're almost neck in neck... I have a bit less.  Oh yeah you're not miles obsessed. Belly Laugh 

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 43 of 56
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

Oh yeah you're not miles obsessed. Belly Laugh 

United miles and Hilton hotel points - a perk from the job!  But I have to use a company credit card unfortunately  Smiley Sad
Message 44 of 56
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:
United miles and Hilton hotel points - a perk from the job!  But I have to use a company credit card unfortunately  Smiley Sad

I can't stand having to use other cc's, but I'm getting better at it.  Completely makes me twitch... even if it accrues a reward.   I'll take that job perk though!
Message 45 of 56
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

I can't stand having to use other cc's, but I'm getting better at it.  Completely makes me twitch... even if it accrues a reward.   I'll take that job perk though!

Just imagine if I could use a Chase Aircard and a Hilton visa.  WOW!!
Message 46 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with Chase was decent up until this spring.  Reasonable interest rate (9.99), periodic automatic CLI's, generally a pretty good card (MasterCard, no rewards).

They ratejacked me this spring from 9.99 to 24.99.  The only negative thing on my report was utilization- and the thing was, I was beginning to pay down large chunks (1-2k/month) of my balances now that I'm married.  What really ticked me off was that they claimed that they had mailed me a notification and given me the chance to "reject" it.  They hadn't.  Then, when I called, one of their reps informed me that even if I closed the account, they couldn't put it back to the 9.99% (another lie).  She also flat out refused to transfer me to a supervisor.  I only wish I'd gotten her name.   I called back, immediately asked for a supervisor without an explanation, and got them to put it back to the 9.99 and close the account.

They must not like keeping long-term (6+ years) customers who always pay well over the minimum, well before the due date, but still carry a balance (making them lots of money)...

I would strongly recommend against putting more on a Chase card than you can PIF (i.e., don't use balance transfers).  PIFers are essentially immune to ratejacking!
Message 47 of 56
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

MsMS wrote:

I would strongly recommend against putting more on a Chase card than you can PIF (i.e., don't use balance transfers).  PIFers are essentially immune to ratejacking!

That is what I recommend for EVERY card  Smiley Very Happy
Message 48 of 56
fused
Moderator Emeritus

MsMS wrote:

PIFers are essentially immune to ratejacking!

PIFers = deadbeats...so the CCCs say

Message 49 of 56
dizzier
Established Contributor

im looking at all those BT fees and CA fees and late fees and the default rate and.... goodness gracious! no wonder so many have a love/hate relationship with them!

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 50 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.