Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your Discover Credit Line?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's your Discover Credit Line?

I have had the Discover Card since June 2010 with an initial credit line of $2,500 and I have spent over $3,000 in the last 6 months. My Cash Back Bonus rewards now

at $42.08. I want to get my credit line increase but i'm so afraid to ask coz they will do a hard pulled credit report.

Whats your suggestion?

Message 31 of 371
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Lynette, I agree with you about not seeing any Discover Card credit limit increases in your future. Given how high your credit limits are and how little you use your cards, there's little to justify an increase. I consider it a sound business expectation to have a balanced gap between the monthly balance and the credit limit.

I think cash rewards start at $50, so I trust the minimum on charges is $50 / 5% = $1,000. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me, if that's what it is. Then again, I don't think like saving 15 cents per gallon; to me, it's saving one gallon if your tank holds twenty gallons. Mostly, it's about mileage points picking up the annual fare to Europe.

I certainly agree that the coding is not entirely clear. The statement doesn't list 5% categories such as department stores and clothing stores, I think. All I see is the merchandise category. I'm thinking of soon stopping by a Crate & Barrel store for a Christmas gift, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as a department store.

Of course the store is presently listed with 10% for online shopping. I wonder if that's the route to take. Is online shopping something you have any experience with?

Message 32 of 371
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My card is more than 2 years old. It opened with a CL of $2,000 and has stayed there ever since.

Ulan, mine was opened in Jan 08' with 2k.   Then received an ACL of $500 in sometime in 08' ... I think.   Now, it stuck with 2.5k and my lowest CL.  I requested CL over the phone to see if they can give me without HP.  The rep said no, because it shows CR is required.

Message 33 of 371
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More opened 15 months ago (sept '09),  initial CL 6000, Cash advance 3000, FICO in upper 700s/low 800's, CL hasn't changed since but I rarely use more than 10%.

Message 34 of 371
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

So....now we only use the cards for the 5% and only if we know there is no wiggle room on the coding.

That's exactly how I use mine. Also, on the odd occasion when I shop online, Discover does have one of the best online shopping malls with nice cashback rates between 5% and 20%. I recently ordered a book throgh Barnes and Noble and got 10% as cashback by paying with Discover. I thought that was great.

Message 35 of 371
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LynetteM wrote:

So....now we only use the cards for the 5% and only if we know there is no wiggle room on the coding.

Good that you mention the wiggle room. They even refused to give the "travel" discount on one of my stays at a chain hotel. I can see something like that happen at gas stations, as most are also convenience stores. But hotels? I found that petty.

Message 36 of 371
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Lynette, I agree with you about not seeing any Discover Card credit limit increases in your future. Given how high your credit limits are and how little you use your cards, there's little to justify an increase. I consider it a sound business expectation to have a balanced gap between the monthly balance and the credit limit.

I think cash rewards start at $50, so I trust the minimum on charges is $50 / 5% = $1,000. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me, if that's what it is. Then again, I don't think like saving 15 cents per gallon; to me, it's saving one gallon if your tank holds twenty gallons. Mostly, it's about mileage points picking up the annual fare to Europe.

I certainly agree that the coding is not entirely clear. The statement doesn't list 5% categories such as department stores and clothing stores, I think. All I see is the merchandise category. I'm thinking of soon stopping by a Crate & Barrel store for a Christmas gift, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as a department store.

Of course the store is presently listed with 10% for online shopping. I wonder if that's the route to take. Is online shopping something you have any experience with?

Crate & Barrel won't count as a department store. For it to be a "department store" in Discover's mind, the store has to have cash registers in various "departments." That covers stores in our area like Daytons, Macys, Younkers, and I would think places like Pennys and Sears. You just can't tell, though. And you can't find out before you make the purchase. The stores do the coding....and Discover can't tell you how that will work. No one at the store knows. It is really the luck of the draw as to whether you will get the 5%. I get so frustrated when I get burned by their system.

As to online shopping, that is how I buy whenever possible. I buy clothes from retail stores because I want to try them on, but otherwise I only walk into a retail store if I am under the gun and can't get something shipped on time. This season, by far I have found Amazon to have the best prices in almost everything. This year I have bought books, movies, and video games from Amazon....but also a set of pots and pans, lots of toys, etc. Their price on an iPod beat buying it driectly from Apple. I compare prices online, and Amazon usually wins. And the shipping is normally free and incredibly fast. I just ordered tons of stuff yesterday that was free shipping and promised to show up by Christmas. I've had good luck so far. Plus...no sales tax because they don't have operations in our state. That right there saves me 6% on every purchase before I even start.

Message 37 of 371
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally caved to repeated mail offers from Discover in October and responded online.  I got the 7-10 day message, checked back about 2 days later and found I was approved for $4000 - my highest initial limit yet.  I'm still figuring out the rewards part, but so far I like the card.  When I called a few weeks ago to let them know I would be traveling and using the card, the rep was really nice and noted that I hadn't yet signed up for the next set of cash back categories, which is travel-related, and she signed me up right then and there.  It will work out well for me, because I have a couple of trips planned for January and February.

I just wish my hair salon would take Discover - I spend probably $1000 there every 6 months and would love to add in those rewards.

Message 38 of 371
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I finally caved to repeated mail offers from Discover in October and responded online.  I got the 7-10 day message, checked back about 2 days later and found I was approved for $4000 - my highest initial limit yet.  I'm still figuring out the rewards part, but so far I like the card.  When I called a few weeks ago to let them know I would be traveling and using the card, the rep was really nice and noted that I hadn't yet signed up for the next set of cash back categories, which is travel-related, and she signed me up right then and there.  It will work out well for me, because I have a couple of trips planned for January and February.

I just wish my hair salon would take Discover - I spend probably $1000 there every 6 months and would love to add in those rewards.

If you spend the full $800 maximum limit, that will be $40 cash back.

That $800 maximun limit for the 1st quarter next year is the highest I've seen them have lately. Normally they're around $300 maximum each quarter, maxing the cash back at $15 for the quarter in the special categories.

Message 39 of 371
MrShush
Valued Contributor

While we are on the subject of rewards and limits, I'm really unhappy though it was my fault for not reading the terms for the restrictions for the restaraunt cash back. My DW and coworkers organized an outing just before Thanksgiving to McCormick and Shmicks. There were 12 people dining. Well, when the $738 bill comes, I whip out my Discover More thinking I've just made about $37 in Cashback Bonus on one transaction. Well, December's statement cuts and I was shocked when I only earned $59 dollars rather than the nearly $100 that I expected. Here it turns out they capped the rewards to $15 for the quarter which I clearly did not read. FAIL.

Message 40 of 371
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.