Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your cash back strategy?

tag
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

Re: What's your cash back strategy?

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Well, my cash back strategy is in my signature, of course.

Future pickups will be Huntington Voice for 3% CB on Utilities, which I hope will cover my cable TV and DSL Internet. if not, then its 3% on Drugstores.

I will pickup the other two 5% category rotators: Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend.

I don't have a strategy for my BCE. It doesn't make the cut anymore. And I don't need more grocery than the Sallie Mae can handle, so no PC to BCP.

I will exchange categories on the two Cash+ cards mid-year, to try for $25 gift cards for redeeming $100, on each card (ie, swap categories to balance out card usage/earnings).

Themanwhocan,

You are such an optimizer!

Huntington Voice? Where do you find these cards?

I'm trying to follow your footsteps in getting the best rewards cards..

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 11 of 45
tld409
Regular Contributor

-Groceries- Amex BCE (3%)

-Gas - BOA Visa  1,2,3 (3%)

-Dining- CSP Visa (2%)

-Sams Club and Walmart-  Sams Club Discover (2%)

-Amazon and all other on line shopping - Discover for now (5%) then  Sams Club Discover (2%)

Socked drawer while current balances being paid off:

-CapOne World MC Silver- will be used for everything not covered above for 1.5% once 0% balance tx is paid off

-PSECU Visa - will only use for large purchases and/or balance txs (low rates)

-LOC Visa - only used for large purchase and/or balance txs (low rates)

Socked drawer- used sparingly

-Walmart- hoping for PC to Discover version

- Citi Simplicity- 0% balanced tx paid off. Hoping for PC to TYP in January or will close and possibly apply later in year for Sallie Mae or Chase Freedom

* I do plan to close a few cards that are not worth keeping open based on rewards, limit, apr, options for low or 0% balance tx offers etc. over the next 2 years 

Starting Score 630 Score: Current FICO Scores: All above 725 (04/01/2015)
Sallie Mae World MC 9k; Chase Freedom 6.5k; CareCredit 13.2k; Amex BCP 21.8k;Amex PRG; BOA123 Visa Sig 20k; CapOne WMC 7.5K; CSP Visa Sig 2K; Citi Simp Visa 6.9k; CFCU Visa 17k; Discover IT 7K; JCP MC 8K; Macys Amex 7.5K/2k; PSECU Visa/PSL 20/20K; SamsClub MC 20k; Walmart 10k
Message 12 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Well, my cash back strategy is in my signature, of course.

Future pickups will be Huntington Voice for 3% CB on Utilities, which I hope will cover my cable TV and DSL Internet. if not, then its 3% on Drugstores.

I will pickup the other two 5% category rotators: Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend.

I don't have a strategy for my BCE. It doesn't make the cut anymore. And I don't need more grocery than the Sallie Mae can handle, so no PC to BCP.

I will exchange categories on the two Cash+ cards mid-year, to try for $25 gift cards for redeeming $100, on each card (ie, swap categories to balance out card usage/earnings).

Themanwhocan,

You are such an optimizer!

Huntington Voice? Where do you find these cards?

I'm trying to follow your footsteps in getting the best rewards cards..

I read a lot on myfico.com, and I don't forget when someone mentions a good cash back card. I'm merely very repetitive in consistently mentioning the good cash back cards over and over. I'm an old hand at this, after all, I obtained my first non-secure credit card way back in January of 2013. Yep, I'm old enough to remember 2013, it was a very good year...

Don't expect me to know a thing about travel cards though, since I never travel Smiley Wink

Another good summary of cashback cards and many categories is: http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/2012/11/09/best-category-bonuses/#comment-338575

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 45
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

Restaurant/fast food: 5% - Cash +

Groceries: 3% - BCE

Gas: 3% - via gift cards at groceries stores (BCE)

Non-category: 2% - Priceline Rewards Visa

Message 14 of 45
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

In Use

Groceries: BCP (6%)

Gas: BCP Arco gift cards from Vons or Ralphs (6%)

Everything else: Barclay Arrival World (2%)

Socks drawer

CSP - will pc for the regular sapphire before the next AF (backup card when travelling)

Crap One Quicksilver

Gross Avg Yearly Cashback: $600

Net Avg Yearly Cashback (Gross - AFs): $436

Always open for suggestions on how to improve.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 15 of 45
zyzzus
Established Contributor

This huntington voice card is interesting.
Anyone know what merchant category codes count?

Cash back strategy for me should be evident nothing too exciting here.

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 16 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And just a gentle reminder:  the best cash back strategy is unlikely to be as profitable as simply signing up for a few new high bonus cards each year

Message 17 of 45
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

And just a gentle reminder:  the best cash back strategy is unlikely to be as profitable as simply signing up for a few new high bonus cards each year

That will not last forever. At some point you will have exhausted the amount of credit that a lender will provide relative to your income, and when that has happened with a handful of favorites, you can resort to one of two. Close some accounts and sign up for new  cards, at which time these good people will soon see through the scheme and drop you like a bad habit. Or pollute your credit report with less appealing lenders which will stick to your reports for a minimum of ten years like a bad stain from a wad of sticky bubble gum with undisclosed saliva mixed in. Take your pick.

Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

While it is true that some lenders have become increasingly sensitive to churning, that varies and there are enough goodish lenders to space things out without becoming an obvious bonus chaser.  

And, more importantly, good cashback cards get nerfed (several examples recently among the cards I have!) so you can lose out that way as well.  Then you need to replace them, putting you in the situation you describe...

Message 19 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@yellowcake wrote:

Restaurant/fast food: 5% - Cash +

Groceries: 3% - BCE

Gas: 3% - via gift cards at groceries stores (BCE)

Non-category: 2% - Priceline Rewards Visa

Nice set of cards. Pretty much what I was using 2 months ago, before I applied for a Sallie Mae World MasterCard.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.