Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your emergency card?

tag
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: What's your emergency card?

For everything else I have my united visa sig.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 41 of 52
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Like others said, all depends on how big the emergency it is...but mine is Cap1 SonyCard, which happens to be the sock drawer card.  I'm putting like 40bucks per month just to keep it going, but hopefully I can get a decent CLI in the future so that I can rely on it a lot more in case of bigger emergencies.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 42 of 52
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

The credit card that has the lowest APR if I ever needed time to pay off a credit card. But I usually pay everything off in full every month.

I'd really give the nod to my Discover atm, I believe they have the lowest APR...but I gotta double check.

I do have few credit cards with 0% APR atm...Of course if those were to run out, I'd have to re-evaluate things at that specific time. 

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 43 of 52
doctorofcredit
Valued Member

I don't have an emergency card, I've got an emergency fund instead. Everybody should have 6 months minimum in theirs, it'll save your credit going down when something "unexpected hits". Live within your means!

TU08 - 823
Message 44 of 52
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

My emergency card is my Compass Clearpoints card. It has a $15k CL and 11.24% APR. The rewards suck, but whaetever I don't get in rewards, I will save interest charges should an emergency arise.

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 45 of 52
vladrad
Contributor

My debit card Smiley Happy

Citi "Diamond Preferred" (1k), Bank of America (12k), Capital One - secured (0.7k), AMEX Green - (5k), Chase Freedom (4.5k), Chase Slate (3.2k), Discover (3,75k), Chase Explorer (19k), Oldnavy (2.2k), Chase Amazon (3k), Orbitz Rewards (8k), Citi Double Cash (10,4k),
Message 46 of 52
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Most of my cards are for emergencies.  FBNO Amex, Barclays, Marathon Visa, Chase Freedom, Capital One, the other Capital One, the old Household (now Capital One), Compass, and PayPal MC.  I just have way too much credit and enough money in the bank for my spending needs.  I'm not uber rich or anything, I use my cards when I can and don't pay cash if I can avoid doing so, I just don't have much opportunity to actually use them.  Oh wait, I live in China........ So I don't really use them here because it is a hassle to do so.  I really should though for the cards that don't have a foreign transaction fee, but then I would have send money to the US.  That costs money to do so. 

When I return I will still keep the same cards as emergency cards and probably only really use the Discover, PNC card, Chase card, and the Delta Amex.  The rest will be used a little to keep them open and for emergencies.

Yes, I pay in full every month.  I don't want to ever have to pay interest again!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 47 of 52
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

For less than 10K emergency I would use my BofA cards with 9,99% APR and for a really big one Amex with highest CL....hope I will never have to decide on this one Smiley Happy
Message 48 of 52
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@doctorofcredit wrote:

I don't have an emergency card, I've got an emergency fund instead. Everybody should have 6 months minimum in theirs, it'll save your credit going down when something "unexpected hits". Live within your means!

That is a wonderful point.  I think I could live for the next year if needed on what I have saved!  I do know what ramen noodles taste like!

Framing is the concept that we make decisons based on what what we are currently used to.  So we spend based on our status quo and we live our lives based on it.  In order to be prepared for an emergency I have not really changed much so that I get to save more.  Some people might call this miserly, I call it sensible.  We don't know yet what will happen with the economic future of the country.  Someone recently posted a thread about the US government and if it had a credit report.  In some ways it does has a credit report and that is why China has been heavily cricizing the US and how they manage money and the debt.  There is a big call for the US dollar not to be the International currency.  If that happens it will certainly have a huge impact on our economy!  It might change our lives for a bit. 

Save people, save.  If you have to buy, then buy things with long term usefulness.  I plan on buying a nice cheap house in the next year or two so that no matter what I will have a place that is my own!  Even if it is not the best shape I can fix it up.  I just don't want to live in the worst ghetto, which is were I was born; Detroit.  (Although, if you buy the right house in the right area of Detroit it could end up being a great opportunity if the city does get reborn.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 49 of 52
parakleet
Valued Contributor

It's all fine and easy to say that people should save but sometimes it's really not an option when a lot of people live from paycheck to paycheck. And stuff happens - you get sick or your car breaks or whatever. Of course we all should live within our means and I certainly try to and budget all of my expenses but saving is not an option at the moment.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.