Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your favorite card and why?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: What's your favorite card and why?

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought this was be an intersting thread to learn about different cards, and to hear others opinions about the cards. So, what's your favorite - or most used card card - and why? I only have a Discover It Chrome, so that's my favorite card ATM lol.

Don't overlook existing discussions as well.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=favorite%20card%20site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com&es_th=1

No favorite here.  The why (i.e. which card gets used) for me is primarily driven by rewards on my spend.

Message 31 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have to say rather my CSP or my Sallie Mae.

I love how easy it is to earn and use points through the Chase UR website, and it saves me quite a bit of cash when I travel abroad every year.

And you cannot beat the 5% categories with the Sallie Mae.

Message 32 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

My personal faves:

(1)  BoA Cash Rewards WMC:  9.99% F APR with cash rewards

(2)  FNBO Amex:  6.25% V APR with 1.5% cash rewards

(3)  Barclay Ring MC:  8% V APR on purchases, BT, and cash advances

(4)  Cap1 No Hassle Miles MC:  No-AF, 2% travel rewards card at 9.9% V

(5)  (coming soon) BoA Travel Rewards VISA:  9.24% with 1.5% travel rewards

(6)  Citi TYP WMC:  9.24% V with WMC benefits 

So your no hassle miles card is like a no-AF Venture?   That's useful!

Message 33 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

My favourite for the next few months is Discover IT Miles.   

Message 34 of 39
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

Currently, my favorite card is my Citi ThankYou Premier because it's new and I'm working on my bonus spend.

Message 35 of 39
happypill
Valued Contributor

1. Security Service FCU Power Travel Rewards because it covers my two biggest spend categories (travel & dining) at 3.3% with no AF or fees of any kind and APR of 11%.

2. Sallie Mae because it covers my next 3 biggest categories (Amazon, gas, groceries) at 5%.  Amazon card fits into this bucket as well because it allows me to go over $750 if I want.

Any spend that doesn't fall into those categories for me is pretty negligible and goes towards initial spend for sign-on bonuses.

I guess the SSFCU is my favorite because its awesome and it's kind of difficult to get so not many people have it.  I would hate for the SM to go away though.

Message 36 of 39
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, you are a new fav member on my list. I love that you focus so much on rates rather than limits!  That is pretty nifty.  You may as well deposit a few hundred bucks at BOA and improve your travel rewards rate.

How long did it take you to get the citi that low? I thought the lowest was 12.99?  I have seen BOA go as low as 7.24%.  Why did you go for the BOA TR, just curious? If you already had a card with better reward rates and nearly identical APR?

Thank you for the kind words and for your very nice compliments!  Smiley Happy  In response to your questions:  I originally received the Citi TYP WMC in 2008, which may have potentially different time for APRs generally speaking for lenders (i.e., pre-CARD Act), and so I have held onto it since then?  The APRs of the new/current cards don't interest me as much tbh, b/c it can be harder to get single-digit rates, unfortunately.  As far as the BoA TR card, it was a successful PC from a BoA Platinum Plus VISA (also received in 2008), but BoA doesn't seem to want to lower it much lower than that; I know b/c I tried lol, but no dice.  At one point in time in the past, I actually had a BoA/FIA/MBNA card product with 7.90% F APR, but sadly, when I refinanced my mortgage some years ago, they kinda made me close out quite a few cards, and I ended up closing that card as a result (which now I really regret).  I chose the BoA TR as a way of diversifying my card collection, since I already had a BoA Cash Rewards card in possession.

Message 37 of 39
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

So your no hassle miles card is like a no-AF Venture?   That's useful!

Correct -- and thanks!  Smiley Happy  Yes the No Hassle Miles card was one of the preceding cards that was available shortly before the Venture was released.  In fact if I am hopefully remembering right, I received the pre-approved application for it, right around the time when the Venture was first being rolled out.  It originally had an AF (later perma-waived by the Cap1 EO).

Message 38 of 39
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, you are a new fav member on my list. I love that you focus so much on rates rather than limits!  That is pretty nifty.  You may as well deposit a few hundred bucks at BOA and improve your travel rewards rate.

How long did it take you to get the citi that low? I thought the lowest was 12.99?  I have seen BOA go as low as 7.24%.  Why did you go for the BOA TR, just curious? If you already had a card with better reward rates and nearly identical APR?

Thank you for the kind words and for your very nice compliments!  Smiley Happy  In response to your questions:  I originally received the Citi TYP WMC in 2008, which may have potentially different time for APRs generally speaking for lenders (i.e., pre-CARD Act), and so I have held onto it since then?  The APRs of the new/current cards don't interest me as much tbh, b/c it can be harder to get single-digit rates, unfortunately.  As far as the BoA TR card, it was a successful PC from a BoA Platinum Plus VISA (also received in 2008), but BoA doesn't seem to want to lower it much lower than that; I know b/c I tried lol, but no dice.  At one point in time in the past, I actually had a BoA/FIA/MBNA card product with 7.90% F APR, but sadly, when I refinanced my mortgage some years ago, they kinda made me close out quite a few cards, and I ended up closing that card as a result (which now I really regret).  I chose the BoA TR as a way of diversifying my card collection, since I already had a BoA Cash Rewards card in posession.

+1

I agree with jfriend33; I'm actually more impressed with low APRs than huge credit lines, since while I don't realistically have a need for a huge credit line it's always nice to have a low APR to fall back on.

I don't say too much about my own rates on here, though, as they aren't that impressive (I'm keeping an old QS1 account open due to a 14.9% rate, if that tells you anything). 

Hopefully as time goes on that will change, though!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.