Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your next card for 2017?

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: What's your next card for 2017?

It's possible wrote: 

3. Finally, after a year of having my Discover It, I will apply for the Discover It Miles, want the double cashback bonus for the first year for the 3%

Do you know if Discover will later merge the two Discover cards  into one the way Cap1 is known to do? Just curious...

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 61 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

None. I think I have all the cards I need. I have a lot. I enjoy using most of them. Smiley Very Happy I will go through my pile and see which to cut out. I do this every other month, but so far I want to keep most of it. 

Message 62 of 120
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I want the Costco Visa in spring of 2017.  I also want Freedom, but I may have the dear wife apply for the freedom and then I would go for the ink in 2018.  

But the two I want in 2017 for sure are Citi Costco Visa and Chase Freedom. I just haven't decided On a game plan yet. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 63 of 120
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

Maybe CSR, still thinking even though the numbers are compelling!

Was thinking of the Amazon store card to replace SM, but now I think I will just buy AMazon gift cards using the OBC.

The more I think on this the more I think I may try it too; I sort of expect my Amazon purchases to go down other than Kindle books from where they have been in the last two years... and I flatly don't want a Synchrony account and have two different cards at 5%+ that I could purchase enough GC's to support the book habit for long flights I'm thinking without raising too many eyebrows even if I read awfully quickly.

        
Message 64 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meh not really seeing any particular card catching my eye at this time. So for me, I will keep gardening. But you never know what's cooking behind closed doors. We'll jus thave to wait and see what 2017 has in store before making the final decision Smiley Wink

Message 65 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have any ideas on ideas to get into security service credit union out of their area?  I have found one route, taking an online class, and using it for CEUs.  Would certainly be several hundred dollars.  But they stay "You're a volunteer in select areas of Texas (San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Rio Grande Valley, Corpus Christi), Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Loveland, Boulder, Broomfield), or Utah (Salt Lake and Utah counties)."  Wondering if there are any ways to volunteer remotely by donation lol?

UMB has always been on my back burner fyi.

Message 66 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if it'll be in 2017, but next is definitely either the BCE (or maybe BCP if I can justify it). DC/Discover/Freedom take care of pretty much of my cash back needs. But something that will consistently get more than 2% back on groceries would be nice to have. 

Message 67 of 120
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on ideas to get into security service credit union out of their area?  I have found one route, taking an online class, and using it for CEUs.  Would certainly be several hundred dollars.  But they stay "You're a volunteer in select areas of Texas (San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Rio Grande Valley, Corpus Christi), Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Loveland, Boulder, Broomfield), or Utah (Salt Lake and Utah counties)."  Wondering if there are any ways to volunteer remotely by donation lol?

While their 3.3% card is nice, I'm not sure it's worth all that hassle and paying several hundred dollars over. It would take a long time and a lot of spend before you'd come out ahead, especially if you're using several cards already.

Beyond that, as far as I know, they're pretty strict on enforcing that you actually live in their service area. No known loopholes.

Message 68 of 120
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While their 3.3% card is nice, I'm not sure it's worth all that hassle and paying several hundred dollars over. It would take a long time and a lot of spend before you'd come out ahead, especially if you're using several cards already.

Beyond that, as far as I know, they're pretty strict on enforcing that you actually live in their service area. No known loopholes.

Yeah I tried heh.  Even went so far as to ask my dad (who has been in Austin for 2 decades and qualifies multiple ways) to setup an account and get in on family but no.

With the proliferation of 3% restaurants (or better) I agree it doesn't make sense really any longer... a year or two ago I think it was an excellent option but that was before Chase's mic drop.

        
Message 69 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

It's possible wrote: 

3. Finally, after a year of having my Discover It, I will apply for the Discover It Miles, want the double cashback bonus for the first year for the 3%

Do you know if Discover will later merge the two Discover cards  into one the way Cap1 is known to do? Just curious...

Hi Grillandwinemaster! You know, I'm not sure. This is a great question though. May start a thread on it.

Message 70 of 120
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.