cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your opinion on American Express Blue Cash Everyday?

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: What's your opinion on American Express Blue Cash Everyday?

The answer is, pretty much as always, "it depends."

I have the card, I like Amex Offers, and I also use it for car rentals since I'm opted into Amex's primary CDW coverage for $18 per trip. I use it less for its primary rewards purpose, groceries. First, I'd say a slim majority of my grocery purchases are at Costco. Second, my main credit union card basically duplicates the BCE rewards structure AND it posts the rewards as a statement credit, regardless of how much or how little you earn.

As others have said, Amex Offers and the CDW coverage is not exclusive to the BCE, most any Amex will do. I just don't see another Amex at the moment that is useful for me as a cashback person.

Message 11 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I'm wondering whether or not to get it so please post your views on it.

It's good for getting cash back on purchases.

It's not good for anything else.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 12 of 25
wilmer007
Contributor

the BCP allows you to get 6% CB on just about anything inside a super market. nothing beats getting that CB on giftcards which means gift cards for gas, food, clothing, travel, etc...

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 13 of 25
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I'm wondering whether or not to get it so please post your views on it.

It's my goto card for groceries, so I like it. I have so many cards I do not use it for much else.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see big difference with my other cards for grocery. I am shopping mainly from costco. I am using citi costco VS for that. I am getting total of 4% rewards with executive membership.

IF you add amex offers into your card you can save a lot I mean a lot. like 10% from nike which I used lately spend $300 and get $30 back pretty good deal.

Also SL and 3X CLI pretty big + for that card (in general for Amex). They gave me $8K SL. Day 62 instant CLI to $24K

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had it about 6 weeks and it's okay, but I'm not sure I'll be a huge fan long-term. The easy $150 bonus is nice, and if you got the Amazon bonus, that's great too.

Outside of that, I'd agree about the minor annoyances ($25 increments, statement credit only). Those things will likely be enough that I'm going to SD drawer this card now that I've got the sign-up bonus. I'll keep using it on Amazon until the 6 months or $200 is up (oddly, the Amazon 10% statement credit does post very quickly and they do it by transaction).

Ease of redemption was never really something I even considered, until I got an AMEX and found out that sometimes annoying redemption policies might override an otherwise nice rewards structure.

Message 16 of 25
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

This card is excellent for families or those rare couples who cook more than they eat out. If you spend more than $400/month in groceries, the Amex BCP is a no brainer. I mean 6% cash back? That's insane. The usual litmus test for rewards cards is that if the rewards outweigh the annual fee, then it is worth it. Well, I just cashed in over $200 in rewards from just 4 months of use. The annual fee is $75 -grandfathered in. I come out over $125 in the black. What's not to like for people who cook? Also, I got my rewards posted to my account in less than 3 days. I'm not sure why it would take actual billing cycles. Perhaps it is different in BCP. My email said that it was appear on my account in no more than 3 business days. 

Message 17 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

This card is excellent for families or those rare couples who cook more than they eat out. If you spend more than $400/month in groceries, the Amex BCP is a no brainer. I mean 6% cash back? That's insane. The usual litmus test for rewards cards is that if the rewards outweigh the annual fee, then it is worth it. Well, I just cashed in over $200 in rewards from just 4 months of use. The annual fee is $75 -grandfathered in. I come out over $125 in the black. What's not to like for people who cook? Also, I got my rewards posted to my account in less than 3 days. I'm not sure why it would take actual billing cycles. Perhaps it is different in BCP. My email said that it was appear on my account in no more than 3 business days. 

Well, that sort of test is often quoted here, but it should include "and the net rewards exceed those of another card I can reasonably expect to get"   As in a card with a $1 AF and a 1% reward has rewards exceeding AF as soon as you spend $100, but worth it?  No way!

Re BCP rewards:   Are you talking about bonuses, or redeeming rewards rather than earning?  Look at your first statement.  Did any rewards (as compared to bonus) post there?   The rewards always post at the end of the cycle that FOLLOWS the one in which they were earned (so your second statement should show the rewards earned the first month) and then there is some extra time for them to become available.  

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love it! I just PC'd from the BCP to the BCE because I couldn't justify the AF. Definitely a great cash back card in my opinion Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 25
newhis
Valued Contributor

The card can grow with SP CLI, so it is very good if you need that.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.