cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your "sorry we don't take Discover/Amex" story?

tag
fiddycal
New Contributor

Re: What's your "sorry we don't take Discover/Amex" story?

I don't think I've ever had Discover not accepted in the US. With Amex, funnily enough it's a couple fast food chains that won't take it. All the small places I've been to accept it.

Message 21 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

One of the knocks on Discover and American Express is that they aren't as widely accepted as Visa and Mastercard. Granted I've only had the Discover for 6 months, but only had one place not accept it, a bar in Minneapolis. It seems to me that them not being accepted is an overblown negative. Anyone else feel this way? 

I have had my Disco going on 4months and never ran into a place that doesn't accept it. So I don't get why it is said it isn't widely accepted. 

Message 22 of 47
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One of the knocks on Discover and American Express is that they aren't as widely accepted as Visa and Mastercard. Granted I've only had the Discover for 6 months, but only had one place not accept it, a bar in Minneapolis. It seems to me that them not being accepted is an overblown negative. Anyone else feel this way? 

I have had my Disco going on 4months and never ran into a place that doesn't accept it. So I don't get why it is said it isn't widely accepted. 

Discover is the new credit kid on the block, even though they've been around since the 1980s. I've seen more refusals for Amex than Discover. Outside the USA is a completely different story though. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 23 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was last year, but I took my kids to the movies (Harkins Theater) tried to pay with my Discover card and they said they don't take Discover. Then I figured I might as well try my Amex, and yup, they took that. That's the only place so far that I have been to that wouldn't take it. No big deal, I just wanted to see if they would take that or Amex.

Message 24 of 47
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely think it's overblown.

I've had my Disco a year (plenty of shopping in a multitude of stores) and only had one store -- Specs of NY -- tell me they don't take Discover. I was buying eye glasses frames  that cost $455. I whipped out my Disco and the sales lady asked, "Do you have a Visa, we don't take Discover?" Yes, I had a Visa on me but I wanted the charge on my 0% interest cashback card, so I said "nope, oh well" and proceeded to put the card back in my wallet. Guess what? She took the Discover and the sale was processed. I guess the thought of losing her commission by letting me walk out the door with no sale wasn't worth it Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 25 of 47
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ci, you discovered they DID accept Discover but didnt want to Smiley Wink. Way to get your Disco onSmiley Wink
Message 26 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

In the US it probably is overblown, but I think it's still true that you are more likely to find a place that takes V/MC and not one of D/A rather than the other way round.   One of my bigger expenses in the last two years were at a major animal hospital, which takes V/MC/D and not Amex.   However, the attached animal adoption center takes all 4....

Message 27 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Popeyes so far in my area doesn’t take disco or Amex. 

Message 28 of 47
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Popeyes so far in my area doesn’t take disco or Amex. 

Weird, my Popeye's takes Amex. I go there at least once a month. I'm in Indy. Haven't tried Disco with them.

Message 29 of 47
happypill
Valued Contributor

Most recent for me was a Mongolian BBQ place while I was traveling in Seattle that didn't accept Discover.  These days, it's really not much of an issue with either Amex or Discover, and it's easy enough to just go with another card if one doesn't work.

One situation that comes to mind where this could be a problem is if you're trying to use one card for a specific set of expenses.  For example, if you submit expense reports or want to track all the costs for a project, it's a pain the butt if your card isn't accept for a few isolated items.  To me, it's enough to just go with VS/MC to avoid this possibility if I'm submitting an expense report.

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.