cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What score do you need for prime cards?

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: What score do you need for prime cards?

I agree with a lot of other people here but would add a few items more than the score.

At least 680 score, clean history for at least the last two years and good history of managing at least two CC for the past year.

Fufill all three of those items and you can get most cards in my opinion.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 11 of 28
Stralem
Established Contributor

680 and up is prime land, but of course it's not that clear cut.

I got both my Freedom and my Discover It while hovering in the 640-650 range with high util and a collections. They were both instant approvals -- no recon! -- but their low initial limits ($500 and $1200 respectively) made it very clear that I just barely squeaked by.

Thankfully I was able to get some nice CLIs on both thanks to some dilligent gardening, but had I gardened before applying, I probably would not have needed to burn a couple HPs for those higher limits.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 12 of 28
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Thanks all for sharing! Keep them coming. It's clear it's a "YMMV" answer, but these general answers helps those of us with FICOs in the lower 600s to not waste inquiries and continue gardening!

Message 13 of 28
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@money_talks wrote:

Thanks all for sharing! Keep them coming. It's clear it's a "YMMV" answer, but these general answers helps those of us with FICOs in the lower 600s to not waste inquiries and continue gardening!

Yes. Gardening sucks but it is necessary to get where you want to be.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 14 of 28
Thammer
New Contributor

For me it was after I hit 680 and got a mortgage. I was able to get in with Amex at that point and since then have added several other prime cards to my wallet Once you hit 700+ you'll start getting the offers in the mail several times a week.

Message 15 of 28
user5387
Valued Contributor

@money_talks wrote:

A lot of it depends on what you're after.

For example, if I had scores in the low 600s and wanted to get ahead, one thing I'd do is get some secured cards.

I'd also look around and see if I could get into NFCU, or else take a copy of my report down to my local CU and ask them what they could do for me.  I might also contrive to take out a small installment loan and pay it back, to establish some history.

I'm not sure that there's a clear threshold that marks "prime" territory, and there's lots you can do even if some of the big lenders don't like you.

Message 16 of 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Being in primeville is more than just a score. It's typically  6 months to a year or more of credit history with 2 or more national cards, VISA/MC/Amex/DISC  store cards don

t count as much, currenty UTL low typically 30% or less with no card exceeding 40-50%, no baddies with in the last 2 years. Don't need to be perfect, just be good for the last couple of years and no BK or charge offs, I got AMEX revolver with a 6 year old judgement, and 5 year old medical collections. YMMV, and above average income helps them look past baddies. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 17 of 28
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@cyclesport45 wrote:

Low 700's with a perfect recent history will get you an Amex or two.  Smiley Happy

Got my Amex xharge card with a sub 680 got the BCE a month later.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 18 of 28
madnutz
New Contributor

My fico scores were between 690-712 when I finaly got approved for Barclays rewards and chase freedom

Message 19 of 28
Danizzle
New Contributor

My lowest approval was 693 for AmEx BCE... but either double or triple pulled me. I had nothing but a old Military (non MC) Star card that was about 3 years old and a car loan that's been paid off since '08. 

I kinda went crazy applying for everything without doing my research and knowing what I wanted. AmEx was the 5th of 6 cards I was approved for in less than 2 months, so less than a year AAoA and many new accounts. Ulti was pretty low if I remember right. Oh, and an absolute clean record.

All FICO scores as of 9.1.14: Exp 744, Eq 745, TU 764
Goal: 800+ across the board
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.