cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What score do you need for prime cards?

tag
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Re: What score do you need for prime cards?

@Danizzle wrote:

My lowest approval was 693 for AmEx BCE... but either double or triple pulled me. I had nothing but a old Military (non MC) Star card that was about 3 years old and a car loan that's been paid off since '08. 

I kinda went crazy applying for everything without doing my research and knowing what I wanted. AmEx was the 5th of 6 cards I was approved for in less than 2 months, so less than a year AAoA and many new accounts. Ulti was pretty low if I remember right. Oh, and an absolute clean record.

Ah the star card. You wouldn't believe how many letters I'd get from aafes detailing how one of my Soldiers hadn't paid their Star Card in months. They should have known better, you give an 18yr old PV2, fresh out of basic a blank check and you're surprised when he uses it foolishly.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 21 of 28
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

It's truly a YMMV situation.  I believe I am an exception to the rule.  I got both of my AMEX cards, Discover, and Citi Card with a 654 score.  Also, other factors such as salary and overall history may play into their decision.

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 22 of 28
Omw800
Contributor

I would say 685 or higher, Amex approved me and sent me myFico of 623 which was exemly lower ther my other fico scores 685 but I have know late payments in the last 5 years and 2 baddies that are 7 years old

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 23 of 28
DomoNomo
Contributor

My credit score was 689 in Dec '12 when I applied for chase and Amex.  Both were denied due to 3 collections on my CR.  As soon as those 3 collections dropped my score went up to 702 and when I reapplied a few weeks later in Feb '13, I was approved for both the Amex BCE and Chase Marriott.  Discover followed a month later and looking at my letter right now with a EQ score of 701.

Message 24 of 28
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

You would think 680-700 is the most populous 20 point score bracket!

Maybe because that's the highest a baddie can go and where prime cards start.

Message 25 of 28
thom02099
Valued Contributor

All good answers from previous posters, and as has been stated it's truly a YMMV.

That said, depends on your definition of "prime card".  What one considers prime, another may not.  Barclays may be prime to one reader, not so much for another.  AMEX is generally regarded as PRIME (not just by forum readers, but the general public who never come to forums!).  Is Discover a Prime?  What about CITI?  Or is it specific cards within what an issuer provides?  Chase Sapphire Preferred prime versus Chase Freedom not so much? 

All things being equal on one's credit report, and putting a postivie spin on it, for SCORES, I think that 720 is the comfort mark for most lenders offering the PRIME cards. 

Message 26 of 28
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: how high a baddie can go, currently at 692 with a loan that defaulted (in 2008, in rehab) and 120+s. 6 yrs old. So, there is hope even with very significant derogs.
Message 27 of 28
p-
Valued Contributor

Involver wrote: Re: how high a baddie can go, currently at 692 with a loan that defaulted (in 2008, in rehab) and 120+s. 6 yrs old. So, there is hope even with very significant derogs.

Over 720 I get premium offers and acceptance, decent limits, and best rate financing for auto and mortgage... even though I still have one paid CA, and lates up to 120.  My AAOA is almost 5 years.

With all of that two companies gave me 5 figure limits, Penfed gave me a 1.49% refi, and I qualified for the best possible mortgage rate on my last refi.

There is hope.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.