Frequent Contributor
unc0mm0n1

Re: What score do you need for prime cards?

Danizzle wrote:

My lowest approval was 693 for AmEx BCE... but either double or triple pulled me. I had nothing but a old Military (non MC) Star card that was about 3 years old and a car loan that's been paid off since '08. 

I kinda went crazy applying for everything without doing my research and knowing what I wanted. AmEx was the 5th of 6 cards I was approved for in less than 2 months, so less than a year AAoA and many new accounts. Ulti was pretty low if I remember right. Oh, and an absolute clean record.

Ah the star card. You wouldn't believe how many letters I'd get from aafes detailing how one of my Soldiers hadn't paid their Star Card in months. They should have known better, you give an 18yr old PV2, fresh out of basic a blank check and you're surprised when he uses it foolishly.

Last App December 7, 2013. Gardening until May 20, 2014
Current Score: 720 EX 714 EQ 712 TU 12/10/2013Goal Score: 720 across the board
Regular Contributor
icetrap06

It's truly a YMMV situation.  I believe I am an exception to the rule.  I got both of my AMEX cards, Discover, and Citi Card with a 654 score.  Also, other factors such as salary and overall history may play into their decision.

CMCU Platinum (12k) | Discover IT (7k) | AMEX Green Card (NPSL) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) |Citi HHonors Gold (4k) | AMEX SPG (1k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 (outdated) | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Established Member
Omw800

I would say 685 or higher, Amex approved me and sent me myFico of 623 which was exemly lower ther my other fico scores 685 but I have know late payments in the last 5 years and 2 baddies that are 7 years old

New Contributor
DomoNomo

My credit score was 689 in Dec '12 when I applied for chase and Amex.  Both were denied due to 3 collections on my CR.  As soon as those 3 collections dropped my score went up to 702 and when I reapplied a few weeks later in Feb '13, I was approved for both the Amex BCE and Chase Marriott.  Discover followed a month later and looking at my letter right now with a EQ score of 701.

TU=779 (3 HP) | EX=767 (10 HP) | EQ=759 (2 HP)
Regular Contributor
too-much-time

You would think 680-700 is the most populous 20 point score bracket!

Maybe because that's the highest a baddie can go and where prime cards start.

Valued Contributor
thom02099

All good answers from previous posters, and as has been stated it's truly a YMMV.

That said, depends on your definition of "prime card".  What one considers prime, another may not.  Barclays may be prime to one reader, not so much for another.  AMEX is generally regarded as PRIME (not just by forum readers, but the general public who never come to forums!).  Is Discover a Prime?  What about CITI?  Or is it specific cards within what an issuer provides?  Chase Sapphire Preferred prime versus Chase Freedom not so much? 

All things being equal on one's credit report, and putting a postivie spin on it, for SCORES, I think that 720 is the comfort mark for most lenders offering the PRIME cards. 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 799 EQ = 812 TU = 811 - 11/2014
Valued Contributor
Involver

Re: how high a baddie can go, currently at 692 with a loan that defaulted (in 2008, in rehab) and 120+s. 6 yrs old. So, there is hope even with very significant derogs.
Cash+ | FlexPerks Select+ Amex | CSP | Double Cash | Fidelity AMEX | BCE | Hhonors |
PRG | FNBO AMEX | Sallie Mae | NASA Cash Rewards | Penfed Promise
Valued Contributor
p-

Involver wrote: Re: how high a baddie can go, currently at 692 with a loan that defaulted (in 2008, in rehab) and 120+s. 6 yrs old. So, there is hope even with very significant derogs.

Over 720 I get premium offers and acceptance, decent limits, and best rate financing for auto and mortgage... even though I still have one paid CA, and lates up to 120.  My AAOA is almost 5 years.

With all of that two companies gave me 5 figure limits, Penfed gave me a 1.49% refi, and I qualified for the best possible mortgage rate on my last refi.

There is hope.

8-12-14: FICO EXP: 797 - EQU: 734 - TRAN: 739 - AVG: 757 - +207 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}