Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What score/profile needed for AMEX?

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

What score/profile needed for AMEX?

Just what the title says. I'm still gardening... Just wondering if I'm 6 mos. or years away from securing one. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: What score/profile needed for AMEX?

@skigirl916 wrote:

Just what the title says. I'm still gardening... Just wondering if I'm 6 mos. or years away from securing one. Smiley Happy

for a charge card,  650 plus 6 months history with one or more major cards is enough and decent salary.  For a revolver make it 680 plus a decent salary... the better the salary the easier to get approved. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 8
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@skigirl916 wrote:

for a charge card,  650 plus 6 months history with one or more major cards is enough and decent salary.  For a revolver make it 680 plus a decent salary... the better the salary the easier to get approved. 

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between a charge card and a revolver? What product name should I look for as to each? 

Message 3 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@skigirl916 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@skigirl916 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between a charge card and a revolver? What product name should I look for as to each? 

charge cards need to be paid in full every month, AMEX charge cards are  Green, Gold, Platinum,  and Gold premeir rewards gold (PRG), all of which have the same underwriting requirements, so if you apply for one, go for the PRG, since it has the best rewards and has no AF for the first year. 

the Revolvers are like normal credit cards,   AMEX everyday,  Blue Cash, blue cash prefered, delta gold, etc...  see AMEX site for more. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Message 4 of 8
mo6579
Contributor

@skigirl916 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@skigirl916 wrote:

Charge means you pay 100% of the statement balance every month, revolver means you have an interest rate and can pay your balance over time (credit card).

If you don't pay your charger on time, you'll get hit with a nasty 'interest rate' and fees.

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Others have already responded, but I would just like to add that this is all a difference in theory.  In practice, I recommend you treat ALL Amex cards as charge cards. or else...

Message 6 of 8
mo6579
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Others have already responded, but I would just like to add that this is all a difference in theory.  In practice, I recommend you treat ALL Amex cards as charge cards. or else...

+1 - And treat every card like this, other than those that currently have a 0% offer.

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 7 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

not quite that bad, a number of people have carrried a balance for 3-6 months without an issue, just always pay 2-4x of the minimum payment, and once you are carrying a balance don't let the balance grow much,  say if you carry a balance of $1000 the first month, pay $100-$200 minimum and don't charge more than you are paying down. Or AMEX will begin to worry a bit. I have pushed $2000-$3000 a month through my BCP, and didn't always pay it in full from month to month but after 2-3 months I worked hard to PIF or at least 80-90% of it. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.