Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What score/ stats needed for CSP?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

What score/ stats needed for CSP?

Obviously someone with a high 700 score would get approved.
But what about someone with a high 600 score, like 680-700?

Im in the garden currently, but after realizing this card is really a great deal- I want it once I'm out of the garden!

I have 6 inqs out of 10 coming off on Exp/EQ/TU by August of this year.
I expect my score to raise to 720 or so as my aaoa will go up to three years-highest ever!!
And util should stay at minimum 14% or be reduced to 9% more than likely!
I'd likely use my own income of $70k since that is what I used to get approved for Freedom.
Also, I have 5-6 $10k+ lines, with my lowest being $1700.
Am I in a position to apply in say September of this year?
How does Chase view current lines with them? I have a closed Slate with a previous $2500 limit and $700 balance(interest is 9%-taking my time on purpose to pay it slowly lol-opened since 2007), a pif $700 closed Slate, and a Freedom in it's 0% period with a $4500/5000 balance(planning to pif before it expires in November). Assuming I could get util on Freedom to <10% and everything else mentioned...Also, Ive had a Chase College Checking with anywhere from $1k-9k in deposits per month for the past 4-5 years. I never overdraft or anything like that!
Is my plan a good one?!?
To meet the $3k spend, I'd likely charge my tuition to it, pif lol and DEF'LY use it for travel!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: What score/ stats needed for CSP?

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Im in the garden currently, but after realizing this card is really a great deal- I want it once I'm out of the garden!

I expect my score to raise to 720 or so as my aaoa will go up to three years-highest ever!!
I'd likely use my own income of $70k since that is what I used to get approved for Freedom.
How does Chase view current lines with them? I have a closed Slate with a previous $2500 limit and $700 balance(interest is 9%-taking my time on purpose to pay it slowly lol-opened since 2007), a pif $700 closed Slate, and a Freedom in it's 0% period with a $4500/5000 balance(planning to pif before it expires in November). Assuming I could get util on Freedom to <10% and everything else mentioned...Also, Ive had a Chase College Checking with anywhere from $1k-9k in deposits per month for the past 4-5 years. I never overdraft or anything like that!
Is my plan a good one?!?
To meet the $3k spend, I'd likely charge my tuition to it, pif lol and DEF'LY use it for travel!!

Looks like you've got a very sound plan in mind, waiting til your total picture is more favourable.   Getting that util down will be a definite asset, your history with Chase should account for something as well (presumably YOU closed those cards rather than Chase?).  AND you're showing patience, to boot!  Definitely a worthy plan!

You'll be surprised at how easy it is to get that $3k spend requirement out of the way!  I just put regular spend stuff on mine (gas/groceries/some travel expenses/etc) and got it within about 6-7 weeks.  Tuition will certainly help you get that goal!

Message 2 of 28
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Is my plan a good one?!?

Looks like you've got a very sound plan in mind, waiting til your total picture is more favourable.   Getting that util down will be a definite asset, your history with Chase should account for something as well (presumably YOU closed those cards rather than Chase?).  AND you're showing patience, to boot!  Definitely a worthy plan!

You'll be surprised at how easy it is to get that $3k spend requirement out of the way!  I just put regular spend stuff on mine (gas/groceries/some travel expenses/etc) and got it within about 6-7 weeks.  Tuition will certainly help you get that goal!

As long as you have a good reason for the high utilization on those cards and your overall is below 15% you will have no problems getting it on recon, especially with your income.

you don't have any baddies do you?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks thom! And yes, I closed the accounts. One was a Wamu acct that Chase tried to increase the apr to 19.99% from 9.24%, and the Slate was closed because I was hellbent on debt reduction and didn't want any deterrence-paid off almost $4k in cc debt when I was 19!! Tbh, I should have left that one opened :-/. Lol I'll pay that Freedom balance way down before I app.
And I have no baddies on EQ/Exp, which is what Chase usually pulls. The baddie I have on TU is a paid fraud CO of $280 from TXU. I just disputed it again! I even offered to send TU my DL just so that they can see there is no way the account is mine; it was opened when I was like 15 lmao! No way I could have opened that! Either way, that'll come off May 2014.

Sweeet! Thanks guys:-) looks like I'n just gardening and paying down debt for the next several months!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 28
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Chase usually doesn't use a score to approve or deny cards or limit increases; they usually look at the whole report. They really don't like new accounts and from previous threads you don't really have any, right? I don't seea reason not to approve as long as utilisation stays low.

Message 5 of 28
toppers555
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Chase usually doesn't use a score to approve or deny cards or limit increases; they usually look at the whole report. They really don't like new accounts and from previous threads you don't really have any, right? I don't seea reason not to approve as long as utilisation stays low.

Chase uses vanage score in my area so I i guess it can vary . 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 6 of 28
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

In my welcome packet it said 'application score' No mention of any CB and the range was 300-850

Edit: Freedom welcome packet
Message 7 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

They do look at score, I know; however, that is just one of many factors they look at. They have some type of Vantage score ime. In the past six months, I have opened three new accounts :-/ lol
Opened Amex/Discover in October (after april, 6 mos will be up) and then Citi in February.
Citi pulled my Eq report THREE TIMES, which Im currently disputing and will continue to do so until they remove it; there is no damn reason they should have pulled my report three times especially when I only permitted them, in writing, to perform a soft pull on recon.
So... In 6 months, I only have like 1 inq on Exp (Amex), 1 on TU (Amex) and five on eq ( Amex, Discover, and three Citi hards).
Message 8 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That's so weird lexie! For my Freedom packet, it showed a 649/900!
Message 9 of 28
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

What I actually meant about the score was that wasn't a huge deciding factor like it seems to be with other lenders. If they decline a card or an increase with me I never receive a score so I started asking why. They said the score is usually used in determining the interest rate, and not approvals. So even with a score of maybe 680, you can get a Sapphire Preferred if everything on the report is fine.

Three accounts isn't much and they will be almost one year if you want to apply in September. Your history is pretty long and new accounts don't have as much of an effect like they do with someone like me. I had Citi do an inquiry and then claim the bureau was frozen (it wasn't) so they couldn't process the application. The inquiry is still there and I just let it go because it wasn't worth it to me. Citizens bank did three inquiries for a chequing account when it was only supposed to be one. They kept saying they couldn't remove it and Equifax was no help. I hope you have better luck than me in getting the additional inquiries remvoed.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.