Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I add to my wallet?

tag
KJamesJR
Established Member

What should I add to my wallet?

So im kinda bored and in the garden right now. Im coming up on three months with my new Barclay and Chase Freedom. Patiently awaiting a CLI... my goal is to be in a house by next May or June so I was thinking about apping for just one more card now, before it impacts my mortgage pre approval (account maturity/inq and all) sometime next spring. I just don't know what to apply for.

Currently my utilization is a little high. Overall about 60% throughout. However that will be more like 10% at the end of this month. Maybe less. So im certain I will qualify for most anything then. I just dont know what to get.

Currently I have the Chase, Barclay and my starter First Progress which I only hang on to because it's my most mature account. So I have some rewards and cash back cards. I dont travel nor am I a business owner. Im not interested in store cards because im not a huge shopper. Most of my current utilization comes from utilities, gas, grocery and my biggest pur hase of all; a new living room set. I've never had new furniture until now. It's really quite nice.

So I was thinking of a balance transfere type of card maybe... though im not well educated on balance transferring. I'd really like to see an AmEx in my wallet perhaps. Any thoughts? Should I just stick with what I have?

Starting Score: 510
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: What should I add to my wallet?

I would advising on waiting until your score hits around 680+ before apping for anything else. 

After letting your lower util report here's some recommendations:

* Discover IT

* Amex Charge Card

* If approved for the Charge Card then on the same day apply for the Amex ED

* Barclay Sallie Mae

Edit: Adding Chase Slate balance transfer. Check Chase's prequalify tool, if it shows up then you're good to go. This one you can probably get before increasing your score since you already have a relationship with Chase.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.