cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I app for when I leave the garden?

tag
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

What should I app for when I leave the garden?

Well, I've looked over my accounts and I like the cards I have. My issue is I decided that I should probably add a financing card/account for larger purchases.

1) Bill Me Later (I like the hidden utilization factor + different stores accept it... but don't like that you really don't know what you have as a credit line)

2) Amazon Store Card (I do shop quite a bit at Amazon and would benefit from the 6,12, 24 months of financing when I decide to make a large purchase + GE credit limit increases)

I don't know if it would be beneficial to have both or just one. Any advice or recommendations?

PS: myjourney + lexie: I'm still in the garden. I'm just curious as to what I should pick up in a few months Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Re: What should I app for when I leave the garden?

@SSA_2013 wrote:

Well, I've looked over my accounts and I like the cards I have. My issue is I decided that I should probably add a financing card/account for larger purchases.

1) Bill Me Later (I like the hidden utilization factor + different stores accept it... but don't like that you really don't know what you have as a credit line)

2) Amazon Store Card (I do shop quite a bit at Amazon and would benefit from the 6,12, 24 months of financing when I decide to make a large purchase + GE credit limit increases)

I don't know if it would be beneficial to have both or just one. Any advice or recommendations?

PS: myjourney + lexie: I'm still in the garden. I'm just curious as to what I should pick up in a few months Smiley Happy

What cards do you have now?

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 2 of 23
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@hutchj wrote:

@SSA_2013 wrote:

Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend, Discover More, Lowes, Capital One, and the Ring.

Message 3 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@SSA_2013 wrote:

Nice touch and you placed it last to after I read everything Ha ha

Standing down continue your research lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 23
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@SSA_2013 wrote:

Nice touch and you placed it last to after I read everything Ha ha

Standing down continue your research lol

I knew you would like that. I don't want to get that taser or the gators Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 23
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@SSA_2013 wrote:

@hutchj wrote:

@SSA_2013 wrote:

Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend, Discover More, Lowes, Capital One, and the Ring.

Personally, I can't comment on BML, but if you do a lot of shopping on Amazon then I guess that would be a good card. Keep in mind the APR is almost 26%. I know because I app'd, was approved, saw the APR & immediately closed it (plus I had read a couple of bad reviews speaking of them having billing issues).

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 6 of 23
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

When you say you don't know what you have as a credit line for BML, do you mean when you start out?  My available credit and balance are always displayed.  There are always quite a few 0% financing deals with stores that accept BML and there are a lot of stores that are accepted.  Some of the things I've used the 0% financing for is electronics and all-inclusive vacations.  The only way it seems you can get a CLI is to try to purchase something that is more expensive than what your current limit is.  I did this twice and have a weird limit somewhere around $4416. 

I also like Amazon's card but I haven't had an opportunity to use it for 0% financing.  Since it is a GE card, it will grow fast.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 7 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Haha! I'm glad you know there's always one watching!

To answer your question, if you shop with Amazon I'd do that- GE, SP's for CLI's and sometimes they have the special financing.
Message 8 of 23
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

When you say you don't know what you have as a credit line for BML, do you mean when you start out?  My available credit and balance are always displayed.  There are always quite a few 0% financing deals with stores that accept BML and there are a lot of stores that are accepted.  Some of the things I've used the 0% financing for is electronics and all-inclusive vacations.  The only way it seems you can get a CLI is to try to purchase something that is more expensive than what your current limit is.  I did this twice and have a weird limit somewhere around $4416. 

I also like Amazon's card but I haven't had an opportunity to use it for 0% financing.  Since it is a GE card, it will grow fast.

I meant to say that with BML you have to attempt a purchase to see if it gets approved or not. I prefer having a set limit beforehand as the last thing I want is an inq just to get denied. So if I knew I had a decent starting CL it would be great. For example, if I knew they would give me a starting line of $3,500 I would know anything over that is a chance. I just don't want to apply for it...get a $500 limit and get an inquiry when I try for a $3,000 purchase. Hopefully it makes sense?

Message 9 of 23
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Haha! I'm glad you know there's always one watching!

To answer your question, if you shop with Amazon I'd do that- GE, SP's for CLI's and sometimes they have the special financing.

I know Smiley Indifferent I just imagine you and myjourney with the big ruler ready to swing at the hand that apps Smiley Very Happy 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.