Frequent Contributor
SSA_2013

What should I app for when I leave the garden?

[ Edited ]

Well, I've looked over my accounts and I like the cards I have. My issue is I decided that I should probably add a financing card/account for larger purchases.

1) Bill Me Later (I like the hidden utilization factor + different stores accept it... but don't like that you really don't know what you have as a credit line)

2) Amazon Store Card (I do shop quite a bit at Amazon and would benefit from the 6,12, 24 months of financing when I decide to make a large purchase + GE credit limit increases)

I don't know if it would be beneficial to have both or just one. Any advice or recommendations?

PS: myjourney + lexie: I'm still in the garden. I'm just curious as to what I should pick up in a few months :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
hutchj

Re: What should I app for when I leave the garden?

SSA_2013 wrote:

Well, I've looked over my accounts and I like the cards I have. My issue is I decided that I should probably add a financing card/account for larger purchases.

1) Bill Me Later (I like the hidden utilization factor + different stores accept it... but don't like that you really don't know what you have as a credit line)

2) Amazon Store Card (I do shop quite a bit at Amazon and would benefit from the 6,12, 24 months of financing when I decide to make a large purchase + GE credit limit increases)

I don't know if it would be beneficial to have both or just one. Any advice or recommendations?

PS: myjourney + lexie: I'm still in the garden. I'm just curious as to what I should pick up in a few months :smileyhappy:

What cards do you have now?

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Frequent Contributor
SSA_2013

[ Edited ]

hutchj wrote:

SSA_2013 wrote:

Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend, Discover More, Lowes, Capital One, and the Ring.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

SSA_2013 wrote:

Nice touch and you placed it last to after I read everything Ha ha

Standing down continue your research lol

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
I will be gardening until a better offer/bonus comes along
Last escape 06/06/13 Bronze 7/6/2013 Silver 9/6/2013 Gold 12/6/2013 Palladium 3/6/14 made it...6/6/14 Plat is all mine
Frequent Contributor
SSA_2013

[ Edited ]

myjourney wrote:

SSA_2013 wrote:

Nice touch and you placed it last to after I read everything Ha ha

Standing down continue your research lol

I knew you would like that. I don't want to get that taser or the gators :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
hutchj

SSA_2013 wrote:

hutchj wrote:

SSA_2013 wrote:

Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend, Discover More, Lowes, Capital One, and the Ring.

Personally, I can't comment on BML, but if you do a lot of shopping on Amazon then I guess that would be a good card. Keep in mind the APR is almost 26%. I know because I app'd, was approved, saw the APR & immediately closed it (plus I had read a couple of bad reviews speaking of them having billing issues).

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Frequent Contributor
kimmiller112

When you say you don't know what you have as a credit line for BML, do you mean when you start out?  My available credit and balance are always displayed.  There are always quite a few 0% financing deals with stores that accept BML and there are a lot of stores that are accepted.  Some of the things I've used the 0% financing for is electronics and all-inclusive vacations.  The only way it seems you can get a CLI is to try to purchase something that is more expensive than what your current limit is.  I did this twice and have a weird limit somewhere around $4416. 

I also like Amazon's card but I haven't had an opportunity to use it for 0% financing.  Since it is a GE card, it will grow fast.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $5000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
09Lexie

Haha! I'm glad you know there's always one watching!

To answer your question, if you shop with Amazon I'd do that- GE, SP's for CLI's and sometimes they have the special financing.
Frequent Contributor
SSA_2013

kimmiller112 wrote:

When you say you don't know what you have as a credit line for BML, do you mean when you start out?  My available credit and balance are always displayed.  There are always quite a few 0% financing deals with stores that accept BML and there are a lot of stores that are accepted.  Some of the things I've used the 0% financing for is electronics and all-inclusive vacations.  The only way it seems you can get a CLI is to try to purchase something that is more expensive than what your current limit is.  I did this twice and have a weird limit somewhere around $4416. 

I also like Amazon's card but I haven't had an opportunity to use it for 0% financing.  Since it is a GE card, it will grow fast.

I meant to say that with BML you have to attempt a purchase to see if it gets approved or not. I prefer having a set limit beforehand as the last thing I want is an inq just to get denied. So if I knew I had a decent starting CL it would be great. For example, if I knew they would give me a starting line of $3,500 I would know anything over that is a chance. I just don't want to apply for it...get a $500 limit and get an inquiry when I try for a $3,000 purchase. Hopefully it makes sense?

Frequent Contributor
SSA_2013

[ Edited ]

09Lexie wrote:
Haha! I'm glad you know there's always one watching!

To answer your question, if you shop with Amazon I'd do that- GE, SP's for CLI's and sometimes they have the special financing.

I know :smileyindifferent: I just imagine you and myjourney with the big ruler ready to swing at the hand that apps :smileyvery-happy: 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+