Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do? Please advise

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do? Please advise

I have the following CC's:

Card#1 - opened 1991: $28k balance (24k at 0% for a yr and 4k @5%). rate 7.90% fixed, limit $30k

Card#2 - opened 2001: $0 balance. rate 7.99% fixed. limit $23k

Card#3 - opened 2007: $0 balance (just paid off this mo). rate 8.99% fixed. limit $21k

EDIT TO ADD: forgot card #4:

Card#4 - opened 2003?: $0 balance (paid off since May08). rate 7.9 fixed. limit $15k

Should I close one of the unused cards?  Was thinking to close #3, but not sure if increasing my debt ratio would outweigh the benefit of one less acct as well as possible increase in average age.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Message Edited by BigAl on 10-29-2008 12:43 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Re: What should I do? Please advise

Right now, your util looks like it's about 38%. If you close CC #3, that puts your util @ 53%. Am I correct, Mods? Please chime in.

Anywho, you want your util to be lower not higher. Don't close any CCs until you you get that $28K balance down.

Message 2 of 4
Scamp
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the following CC's:

@card#1 - opened 1991: $28k balance (24k at 0% for a yr and 4k @5%). rate 7.90% fixed, limit $30k

Card#2 - opened 2001: $0 balance. rate 7.99% fixed. limit $23k

Card#3 - opened 2007: $0 balance (just paid off this mo). rate 8.99% fixed. limit $21k

EDIT TO ADD: forgot card #4:

Card#4 - opened 2003?: $0 balance (paid off since May08). rate 7.9 fixed. limit $15k

Should I close one of the unused cards?  Was thinking to close #3, but not sure if increasing my debt ratio would outweigh the benefit of one less acct as well as possible increase in average age.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Message Edited by BigAl on 10-29-2008 12:43 PM

Welcome to the forums, BigAl!  Smiley Happy

While your overall util across the 4 cards isn't too bad at ~32%, FICO scoring also takes into account the utilization on individual tradelines as well, and that one card being at ~93% util is certainly hurting your scores, and it may also scare your other creditors into rate-jacking you, lowering your credit limits, or closing your accounts with them (if you've had that card that high for a while and nobody's said 'boo' about it, then you may be okay a while longer).

From a money standpoint only, just paying that 28K down steadily within the0% window is best, but from a scoring standpoint, having 93% util on a card could be deadly.

Definitely DO NOT close any of these accounts until you get that $28K paid way down or paid in full, and even then, be sure to read this thread about Closing Credit Cards The Right Way http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=117125&jump=true before you act.

Also, please read Credit Scoring 101, found here http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=29793.  It's loaded with great info.

Conventional wisdom on here is that one generally doesn't have to sweat FICO scores too much unless in the run-up to buying a house or some other major purchase, but the current economic climate HAS seen - and will continue to see - creditors lowering limits, raising APR's, etc., if a customer's behavior with ANY accounts makes them nervous, so think long and hard about whether you need to focus on the money angle by sticking with the 0% card on all of that 28K despite the negative score effects, or need to do more for your FICO scores and overall credit picture as seen from all your creditors' point of view by moving some of that off to the other cards to get rid of that individual super-high util.

Hope this helps!  Good luck.  Smiley Happy

Edited by llecs to fix the CS101 link

Message Edited by llecs on 11-26-2008 03:35 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info, thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.