Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do next!?

tag
paparoach429
Established Member

What should I do next!?

Hello everybody my name is Alex. Im 20 years old, Im new to this forum and would like your guys' opinions. My current cards are as follows. Citi Forward-4k limit, Capital One secured $400, Firestone card 1k, Express $450, Rogers and Hollands $500, ans Kay Jewelers $300. All of these cards will be 2 years old between March and April. 1 late payment on the firestone card that is over a year old. I would like to add/drop some cards in the near future and would like some advice on which cards to look into and when to apply for them. First, I need to dump my Crapital One secured card before March (thats when the annual fee hits), but I dont like the security of only having one major credit card. I was thinking Chase Freedom, Discover "more/it", Amex Green or Blue Cash. I want to apply for a card that im obviously not going to get denied for, but also that has rewards, low interest, no annual fee, and nice credit limits. Im not going to make this card my everyday card unless it has a competing limit to my Citi Forward (4k) Last but not least, the only scores that im able to supply you guys with is my CreditKarma score which is 689, and my Quizzle score which is 684. The CreditKarma score is up to date but the Quizzle score is over 2 months old when my credit limit on my Forward was still $1800 and my balance was $1200. And before my Express card went from $250 to $450. So the scores should be higher now but I cant update it for another 4 months. Im eager to hear your guys' opinions and suggestions. Thankyou in advance for your feedback!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Involus
Regular Contributor

Re: What should I do next!?

How long was the late? 30 days?

For my Chase Freedom I was approved at like 680 something I want to say - was inq heavy also. Got 7-10 day message at first but they just needed to confirm address and identity.

For both my Amex cards I apped with a 753 TU and was instant approved on both - again still inq heavy. [16TU/24EQ/16EX]

Whats your util%, AoAA?

Message 2 of 20
paparoach429
Established Member

I think the late was closer to like 60 days.. They never sent me a bill and I even paid it the day it was due, but with my girlfriends account and for some reason it never posted. Anyways, my utilization on my Citi is 12.5%. Total utilization is at about 7%.

Message 3 of 20
paparoach429
Established Member

Any suggestions?....

Message 4 of 20
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@paparoach429 wrote:

Hello everybody my name is Alex. Im 20 years old, Im new to this forum and would like your guys' opinions. My current cards are as follows. Citi Forward-4k limit, Capital One secured $400, Firestone card 1k, Express $450, Rogers and Hollands $500, ans Kay Jewelers $300. All of these cards will be 2 years old between March and April. 1 late payment on the firestone card that is over a year old. I would like to add/drop some cards in the near future and would like some advice on which cards to look into and when to apply for them. First, I need to dump my Crapital One secured card before March (thats when the annual fee hits), but I dont like the security of only having one major credit card. I was thinking Chase Freedom, Discover "more/it", Amex Green or Blue Cash. I want to apply for a card that im obviously not going to get denied for, but also that has rewards, low interest, no annual fee, and nice credit limits. Im not going to make this card my everyday card unless it has a competing limit to my Citi Forward (4k) Last but not least, the only scores that im able to supply you guys with is my CreditKarma score which is 689, and my Quizzle score which is 684. The CreditKarma score is up to date but the Quizzle score is over 2 months old when my credit limit on my Forward was still $1800 and my balance was $1200. And before my Express card went from $250 to $450. So the scores should be higher now but I cant update it for another 4 months. Im eager to hear your guys' opinions and suggestions. Thankyou in advance for your feedback!

First, be sure all CCs are reporting zero bal, except one at under 10%, which I'd make citi since that's your highest CL. I think you'd be approved for freedom and Amex green. I don't know about Amex blue. One possibility is that you app for green and if approved, go ahead and app for blue on same day. That way you should only take one HP. 

Chase seems to be reluctant to go above your current CLs. Earlier this year, I got $3k freedom with scores in the mid to high 700s. My highest cl at the time was $2500, i believe. i called to recon, but no go. I'm not sure what CL they'd give. It would help if you had a better idea of your true FICO on EQ. I'd think that they would probably come in around your citi cc. Then in 6-12 mos, you can CLI, even tho it will be a HP. 

I would go for both chase and Amex, if I were you. Also, the earlier you get your first Amex, the better for future backdating. 

Good luck! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 20
paparoach429
Established Member

Thankyou for your suggestions.. I recently tried out the free trial on this website for the "score watch 10 day trial" thing and my Equifax came in suprisingly low at 660. Smiley Sad I thought it would be higher since my Creditkarma is 689 and Quizzle score is 684. I dont understand why its so low. I had a bad understanding about credit about 4-5 months ago and carried a high balance on my Citi card for a few months but since then its been less than 20% and all my other cards have been paid off. I guess it takes longer than a month or two for scores to go back up?

Message 6 of 20
eviLution
Established Contributor

It's probably low from the late payment and inquiries.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 7 of 20
paparoach429
Established Member

Even though the late payment is about a year and a half old and it was only showing one inquiry? I know that I have more then one inquiry but they arent showing. Is it because they may be on other bureaus?

Message 8 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

First of all; I would suggest that you call and write asking for the firestone to please remove the late payment from your reporting. Tell them I'm the letter exactly what you just posted here.

I would do that first before applying for anything. Most prime cards want you to be two years with clean payment history on all of your accounts.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

At this point the only thing I could recommend would be ge wal mart discover or maybe Barclay's but seriously you should try to GW the firestone before apping. You stand a decent chance of GW success.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.