Did you mean: 

What should I do next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What should I do next?

@Anonymous wrote:

I like it when he said-

"My goal is 21+ credit cards ASAP then I won't apply for any for rest of my life"

The rest of your life??

Man listen to the advice above from guys that have been down a lot of roads.  I'm gonna assume you're still young (in 20s?).  Your whole life is before you, and to say you're never gonna app for another credit card again is not realistic.  What happens in 5 year or 10, some bank offers a card with all kind  of crazy rewards you just gonna sit it out?

Keep us posted.

Agreed.  It is the thought of wanting it NOW that is a bit absurd.  For pete's sake, you have the rest of your life to actually make much much smarter credit decision.  There is no need to rush when it comes to credit.  Time is your most valuable asset.

Message 11 of 13
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

First of all, you need to garden -- your AAOA is not good, and opening a bunch of new cards is going to completely throw it to crap. 13 INQ's is also not good at all, you want it down to at least 6, IMO.

Your scores are not bad, but will be improved with gardening.

Why in the world you would want to have "21" or some arbitrary number of accounts without any real benefit for them? Open accounts you actually want and will use. Don't open x amount of accounts because you think you "should". You can have a good, even excellent, FICO score will far less than 21 cards, and as someone mentioned, loans are another segment of your score -- it's not 100% cards.

The whole "and then I won't apply for anything for the rest of my life" makes little sense, too. Issuers come out with new, exciting products all the time. They also nerf and discontinue existing cards. 20 years from now, most of the cards you have will have been discontinued/changed/nerfed in some way. Usually an issuer will PC you to something else, but the point is, it's unlikely you will be set for life because benefits on cards change and new things come out. There's no rush to accumulate your "lifetime supply" of cards.

Yep that and I agree with you guys.. It just doesn't make sense..

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I do not understand  the "rest of my life" thing at all. Gardening for 2 years is one thing to remove all inq's. Rest of life? No.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.