Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do with my Chase Slate?

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

What should I do with my Chase Slate?

I used it as a BT card. I have a $5k limit and owe just under $500 that I plan to pay off this week or next.  The 0% is ending this month. So I wanted to get the Freedom and I applied and was denied due to too many new card applied for in the last 2 years. I have aquired 7 new cards in the past 24 months but I did not keep the BOA card, so I only actually have 6, and two of them are the two Chase cards. 

I wanted the Freedom but it's fine, I don't need the credit if they don't want to offer me the card. My CS is currently 702. I probably can get a card at DCU shortly if I want a new card. I am waiting to finalize on my vehichle purchase with them.  

So do I transfer the CL over to my Disney Visa and close the Slate?  Do I keep $500 and leave the card open to report 0 balances. Do I try again to recon the Freedom?  It's the first time I have been denied a CC since I started rebuilding but honestly, I don't want all my eggs in one basket with any lender so it's fine. But I can't figure out what to do with the Slate card and having moved the CL to the Freedom would have been an easy solution for me. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DevotionToU
Regular Contributor

Re: What should I do with my Chase Slate?

You're running into the 5/24 rule Chase uses now.  I would say the Slate is probably worth keeping around for the free monthly FICO score. I did the same thing you were thinking of, just a different card (I had a Freedom not a Disney).

$18000 Discover IT / $6000 Chase Freedom / $5000 DCU Visa / $3900 Fifth Third / $2500 Capital One Quicksilver / $2000 AMEX Blue Cash Everyday / $500 Chase Slate
Message 2 of 12
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@DevotionToU wrote:

You're running into the 5/24 rule Chase uses now.  I would say the Slate is probably worth keeping around for the free monthly FICO score. I did the same thing you were thinking of, just a different card (I had a Freedom not a Disney).

Yes, sadly I saw that info about the 5/24 rule today. I applied yesterday evening. Smiley Sad I am guessing I will just move my CL over to Disney to make it $5k and keep the slate at $500.  I have a Disney cruise I am planning in December...so I guess I can get some onboard credits using my card.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try to secure message through your online account asking to product change your Slate to Freedom? You will most likely have to have it all paid off before they will make the change. Try it out and report back!

Message 4 of 12
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you try to secure message through your online account asking to product change your Slate to Freedom? You will most likely have to have it all paid off before they will make the change. Try it out and report back!

Not interested in PC. I wouldn't get the sign up bonus or special 0% intro rates. I'll take the HP as a learning curve loss.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not interested in PC. I wouldn't get the sign up bonus or special 0% intro rates. I'll take the HP as a learning curve loss.

If that's the case, I'd say move the Slate CL to your Chase Disney, close, and be done with it.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 12
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If that's the case, I'd say move the Slate CL to your Chase Disney, close, and be done with it.  

Since this 5/24 rule was not something I was aware of, I took a look and 3 of my cards (Amex, Target and Barclay) all hit the 24 month anniversary in May of this year. Wish I had know as I would have waited but I guess I will just re-apply after they are older than two years. 

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 12
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

I used it as a BT card. I have a $5k limit and owe just under $500 that I plan to pay off this week or next.  The 0% is ending this month. So I wanted to get the Freedom and I applied and was denied due to too many new card applied for in the last 2 years. I have aquired 7 new cards in the past 24 months but I did not keep the BOA card, so I only actually have 6, and two of them are the two Chase cards. 

I wanted the Freedom but it's fine, I don't need the credit if they don't want to offer me the card. My CS is currently 702. I probably can get a card at DCU shortly if I want a new card. I am waiting to finalize on my vehichle purchase with them.  

So do I transfer the CL over to my Disney Visa and close the Slate?  Do I keep $500 and leave the card open to report 0 balances. Do I try again to recon the Freedom?  It's the first time I have been denied a CC since I started rebuilding but honestly, I don't want all my eggs in one basket with any lender so it's fine. But I can't figure out what to do with the Slate card and having moved the CL to the Freedom would have been an easy solution for me. 

I had a similar question a couple of years ago. After the BT I decided to hold onto Slate for awile and report balance, before deciding. About a year after that, I was  looking at other BT offers, and Chase sent me a 0% for 12 month BT offer on the card for 2% Fee (which matched, or beat out, the other offers I had at the moment.

It might be worth hanging on to.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 8 of 12
impactplayer
New Contributor

I end up using a balance transfer offer about once a year on the Slate so if that is appealing to you, it might be worth keeping around.
Message 9 of 12
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

I had a similar question a couple of years ago. After the BT I decided to hold onto Slate for awile and report balance, before deciding. About a year after that, I was  looking at other BT offers, and Chase sent me a 0% for 12 month BT offer on the card for 2% Fee (which matched, or beat out, the other offers I had at the moment.

It might be worth hanging on to.

Odiseous,

Thanks for sharing! That is going to know. So Slate does offer 0% offers periodically?  And having the free monthly FICO score probably make it worth keeping. I am going to move most of the CL over for now to my Disney card. 

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.