Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do with my Macy's card

tag
Want2BDebtFreeNow
New Contributor

What should I do with my Macy's card

Quesion:

I opened this Macy's account about 2 1/2 years ago but I don't use it as I am trying to get out of debt and the interest is out of control.  I have read on the forums not to close credit cards.  However what I am affraid of is that they will close it for me if I don't use it.  I think the last time I used it was like in January of this year, bought a pair of shoes and then paid it off before the statement generated. What I am afraid of is that they will close it for non use. It has a tiny credit line. I think like $400.00.

My AAoA is at 6.something from the SWA I pulled earlier.

What would you do?  

MacYsdsnb 5/2010$0Pays account as agreedNo

Details

As of 11/14/2012 EQ: 672

5 inqs in the last year - October 25, 2012, July 05, 2012, July 03, 2012, June 18, 2012, February 16, 2012

(Report reads them as 3) Your applications for credit in the past year
3 inquiries

Last account opened June 2012

Average age of your accounts
6 years

Number of your accounts with a missed payment
0 accounts

Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits
82% (Ouch)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Want2BDebtFreeNow
New Contributor

Re: What should I do with my Macy's card

After posting this I decided to log into my Macys.com account just to see when then last purchase I made was and it was in Feb. (off topic) anyway I saw the CLI button and before I even clicked on it I did a search on here to see if they are Hard Inquiries or soft and came across a thread from a person who said that she got auto CLI's so I decided to look and see what my CL was with them. It's been increased to $1,500The only way I could find out was by looking at the statements since they don't post it on the regular pageIt's weird that they never sent me a letter telling me about the higher CL!

5 inqs in the last year - October 25, 2012, July 05, 2012, July 03, 2012, June 18, 2012, February 16, 2012

3 inquiries

6 years

0 accounts

82% (Ouch)
Message 2 of 10
Imua
Frequent Contributor

i was just going to reply to your first post to keep the card and use it once or twice a year but PIF to avoid the interest.

now it looks like you'll probably decide to keep the card Smiley Happy

congrats on your CLI

Message 3 of 10
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

oh wow thats good congrats on the increase yes keep the card!

Message 4 of 10
Want2BDebtFreeNow
New Contributor

@Imua wrote:

i was just going to reply to your first post to keep the card and use it once or twice a year but PIF to avoid the interest.

congrats on your CLI

Thank you & absolutely.  I might go by the mall tomorrow and get a new pair of dress shoes. I just have to be really careful with going into a mall.  Unfortunately I have a bit of a shopping addiction and I've been working on getting out of debt since I joined these boards. I guess with age comes with wisdom. This year is my first year where I don't have a car payment anymore!

3 inquiries

6 years

0 accounts

82% (Ouch)
Message 5 of 10
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@Want2BDebtFreeNow wrote:

@Imua wrote:

congrats on your CLI

Thank you & absolutely.  I might go by the mall tomorrow and get a new pair of dress shoes. I just have to be really careful with going into a mall.  Unfortunately I have a bit of a shopping addiction and I've been working on getting out of debt since I joined these boards. I guess with age comes with wisdom. This year is my first year where I don't have a car payment anymore!

+1  You are so not alone! I'm with you on this!  I went on a bit of a shopping spree over the last two months so my UTL is high right now.  Working on keeping those balances off and staying CLEAR of the malls and the websites online because I recently discovered online shopping too! LOL!!!! 

I'm taking a close look at my credit cards and plan to pay a few of them all the way to zero and sock drawer them.  I'll take them out once a year as suggested on this board for a small purchase so they won't be closed for inactivity.

And congrat's on your Macy's CLI! 

Message 6 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

IF you NEED the shoes, then get the shoes.

If you do not NEED the shoes, then go in there and get something from the registers counters that's a buck or two, and that will keep the card active for another year.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 10
bahbahd
Established Contributor

FYI, I've had almost every store card I've ever had close on their own due to lack of usage. Two Macy's cards were from Meier & Frank and Marshal Fields both being bought by Macy's. Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, and I'm sure a couple of others all closed.  The only one that did not close due to usage was a GE banana republic that I charged $209 on one month and forgot about the card and it CO.  That was a huge PITA mistake. Still a blackmark I have not been able to get rid of early.

It's funny how the closed cards do not show on my CR but the one CO sure does.

Message 8 of 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1 repo

Message 9 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

IF you NEED the shoes, then get the shoes.

If you do not NEED the shoes, then go in there and get something from the registers counters that's a buck or two, and that will keep the card active for another year.

macy's has nice chocolate bars =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.