Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do with my new AMEX card?

tag
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

What should I do with my new AMEX card?

I applied for and was approved for the Delta Platinum Skymiles from AMEX. I was disappointed that the initial credit limit is only $1100 so I called new accounts and he told me once I received the card that it would be no problem to increase the credit limit. Cool! So I finally received the card today and they told me I can't increase the credit limit because they just increased the credit limit on my HHonors card a few weeks ago. Now I don't know what I should do. This card has a $189 AF and I need to spend $3000 in the first three months to hit the bonus miles spend. With this limit, it isn't even enough to pay my rent! The card is useless to me, and with an AF that is 20% of the credit limit, I don't know why I shouldn't just tell them to cancel the card. Even the 3x CLI in 90 days (or maybe 6 months) isn't worth it with this limit. I feel like I'm better off just canceling it and re-applying in 6 months when I can either get a better initial CL or be eligible for a CLI.

Thoughts?

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What should I do with my new AMEX card?

@OHWWCB wrote:

I applied for and was approved for the Delta Platinum Skymiles from AMEX. I was disappointed that the initial credit limit is only $1100 so I called new accounts and he told me once I received the card that it would be no problem to increase the credit limit. Cool! So I finally received the card today and they told me I can't increase the credit limit because they just increased the credit limit on my HHonors card a few weeks ago. Now I don't know what I should do. This card has a $189 AF and I need to spend $3000 in the first three months to hit the bonus miles spend. With this limit, it isn't even enough to pay my rent! The card is useless to me, and with an AF that is 20% of the credit limit, I don't know why I shouldn't just tell them to cancel the card. Even the 3x CLI in 90 days (or maybe 6 months) isn't worth it with this limit. I feel like I'm better off just canceling it and re-applying in 6 months when I can either get a better initial CL or be eligible for a CLI.

Thoughts?

Maybe try calling new accounts again and see what if anything they might do about the CL?  Sees bizarre for that card to give you such a low CL with that kind of spend requirement.  If you don't mind wasting an HP maybe closing it would be the best option if you don't want to deal with trying to get the bonus with such a small limit and high AF.

Message 2 of 17
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OHWWCB wrote:

Thoughts?

Maybe try calling new accounts again and see what if anything they might do about the CL?  Sees bizarre for that card to give you such a low CL with that kind of spend requirement.  If you don't mind wasting an HP maybe closing it would be the best option if you don't want to deal with trying to get the bonus with such a small limit and high AF.

Yeah, I did that and they said there was nothing I could do. I called customer service to cancel the card and the woman was really helpful and pretty incredulous at the initial CL. She offered, as did the other rep, to move limit from my HHonors card to the Delta card but I didn't want to do that as I feel like my 15k CL on my HHonors card looks better on my report than 3 card with 9k limits. I'll try again later this year I guess.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 3 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

There is also no guarantee that you would get a higher limit down the line either. It's your gamble really. Why do you think they gave you a low limit? Do you always PIF or make big payments?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 17
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

There is also no guarantee that you would get a higher limit down the line either. It's your gamble really. Why do you think they gave you a low limit? Do you always PIF or mke big payments?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because I've only had my HHonors card since January and just got a CLI of 10k on it. Once that account has aged a bit, I feel like they'll give me more. I mean, I get it. They've extended 15k to me in 3 months already.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always pay it off as you spend in order to hit the spend you need. Doing that should help you persuade amex to CLI ("I'm already spending three times my limit every month and it isn't convenient to have to make these constant payments to do that ").
Message 6 of 17
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You can always pay it off as you spend in order to hit the spend you need. Doing that should help you persuade amex to CLI ("I'm already spending three times my limit every month and it isn't convenient to have to make these constant payments to do that ").

I could, but without putting my rent on a card I simply cannot hit that spend. I just don't spend that much, I'm just one single person and I've already booked and paid for all of my vacations this year.

Message 7 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Persoally I would just keep the card and just let it age. You've already taken the HP for it and really if AMEX wants to give you a higher limit later you'll get it. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 8 of 17
JSS3
Valued Contributor

What were you going to put on the card had the limit been sufficient? That's what you run though it, but pay it back after it posts then repeat.
Message 9 of 17
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:
What were you going to put on the card had the limit been sufficient? That's what you run though it, but pay it back after it posts then repeat.

Honestly, probably just my rent. I might fly to Miami for a wedding in December that I haven't purchased tickets for yet. That's it.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.