cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So you are saying for my next card that I am going to app...

@elim wrote:

my way...

go to local credit union and get a share secured loan for 1 year (no credit pull).

pick up 2 CC's when you can along the way (as early as possible)

in that year, cram every penny you can into that share account. 

try to have 15k in that account when the loan completes (for your down payment).

your credit union will give you a great rate and a CC to boot.

finance the needed 10k and get your car.

you now have property with a positive value if you need to bail and sell at any time.

you will suffer for 1 year but that's what we "toy buyers" do

your priorities/needs may change by then and you may dodge a credit nightmare if an emergency arises.

remember, cars are cheaper in winter

my toys are race boats so it's easier for me. i can split costs engines/hulls/trailers

my latest...

elim.gif

best of luck

This is actually a pretty decent idea.

Message 21 of 25
b_diddy
Established Contributor

Re: So you are saying for my next card that I am going to app...

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

my way...

go to local credit union and get a share secured loan for 1 year (no credit pull).

pick up 2 CC's when you can along the way (as early as possible)

in that year, cram every penny you can into that share account. 

try to have 15k in that account when the loan completes (for your down payment).

your credit union will give you a great rate and a CC to boot.

finance the needed 10k and get your car.

you now have property with a positive value if you need to bail and sell at any time.

you will suffer for 1 year but that's what we "toy buyers" do

your priorities/needs may change by then and you may dodge a credit nightmare if an emergency arises.

remember, cars are cheaper in winter

my toys are race boats so it's easier for me. i can split costs engines/hulls/trailers

my latest...

elim.gif

best of luck

This is actually a pretty decent idea.

In addition to some of the good ideas on here, I think you should push back your purchase date on the car.  No one wants to deny you your first big toy, but there's an opportunity here to test your discipline.  Imagine if you started saving the ~ $500 a month you're going to need to pay for and maintain this car right now.  If you bought it October 2015, you would have $6000 saved, effectively financing $15,000.  A very different proposition on your current salary.  Can you pick up some extra part-time work without interfering with your school work?  If so, put all of that as well toward your car goal.  I remember my first car I bought on my own at 19 ... great car but I missed a couple payments and ruined my credit early because I wasn't disciplined enough at that age.  I over shot.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 22 of 25
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: What should I do?

I'm against taking a loan out just because you think it will help your credit. I was approved for an automobile loan without any loan history and it was for the credit union's lowest rate. I had three years of history and probably twenty or so credit cards last November. My little brother also got approved through PNC for their lowest rate with about 18 months of history. He was on my cards for a while, but the only one he's still on that isn't closed is Macy's, so his own history was enough.

I just suggest getting at least two or three more cards and use them responsibly. In six months that history may help and in twelve it really will. Unless the dealership is offering 0% through Ford credit itself, I'd seek out your own financing. Dealerships send it out and twenty different lenders could look at it. Doing it yourself limits the amount of inquiries that you get.

Message 23 of 25
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I'm against taking a loan out just because you think it will help your credit. I was approved for an automobile loan without any loan history and it was for the credit union's lowest rate. I had three years of history and probably twenty or so credit cards last November. My little brother also got approved through PNC for their lowest rate with about 18 months of history. He was on my cards for a while, but the only one he's still on that isn't closed is Macy's, so his own history was enough.

I just suggest getting at least two or three more cards and use them responsibly. In six months that history may help and in twelve it really will. Unless the dealership is offering 0% through Ford credit itself, I'd seek out your own financing. Dealerships send it out and twenty different lenders could look at it. Doing it yourself limits the amount of inquiries that you get.

Right, remember that dealerships get kickbacks (points) based on the interest rate they give you.  The higher the interest rate, the higher their kickback.  That's why they pull out all stops to get you a loan, just not likely to be one favorable to your wallet.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, go into a dealership with a pre-approved loan (usually from your locall CU) at the rate you want.  This gives you a negotiation advantage on the price of the car.  Do not negotiate based on monthly payments.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 24 of 25
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

You can get a secured loan through a CU at very little interest.

But honestly likely won't help as much as you may think.

I would get a Barclaycard and maybe Cap1 card giving you 3 active tradelines.

When you apply for the car note use a CU they will offer the best rates and usually use classic scores vs auto enhanced.

Good luck!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.