New Contributor
TanterBeans

What should I say when making a recon call? GEMB specific

Calling all wiser ones, I'm fairly new here and didn't even know you could make a recon call until a few weeks ago~!!

I applied for a Sam's Club card and got the "can not refer" at this time message at the counter.  Called a backdoor number a few days later and they said they were still considering it and haven't made a decision yet.  Received a letter in the mail yesterday and I was declined :smileysad:

Here are the reasons:

High Ratio of Revolving Accts Opened last year to all revolving accts Very true - I've began rebuilding and opened a Amazon, Victoria's Secret, and Cap 1 card since Jan 2011.

Accounts in collections or 60 days past due or adverse public records.

I have 1 account in collection from about 6 months ago and it's a medical bill for $159 that I've been fighting to get our insurance to pay! *I'm in the right on this one*.  However, have 2 charge-offs from 2007 on a first premier card and a rewards 66 card (total less than $1000)

Sum of credit limits across all open revolving accounts too low.  Unfortunately it's true - have very low credit limits ranging from $300 - $950 on my cards.

However, I wasted an inquiry on Sam's Club so I'd like to at least TRY and call them for a recon???   I know the obvious what I should say "please reconsider, I've been responsible on all my cards, etc."  What else? Help? Any tips? advice?  I REALLY want this card as I actually shop there all the time.  I generally PIF my cards every month.  I'd be good to it...  :smileywink:

Super Contributor
DI

Re: What should I say when making a recon call? GEMB specific

[ Edited ]

TanterBeans wrote:

Calling all wiser ones, I'm fairly new here and didn't even know you could make a recon call until a few weeks ago~!!

I applied for a Sam's Club card and got the "can not refer" at this time message at the counter.  Called a backdoor number a few days later and they said they were still considering it and haven't made a decision yet.  Received a letter in the mail yesterday and I was declined :smileysad:

Here are the reasons:

High Ratio of Revolving Accts Opened last year to all revolving accts Very true - I've began rebuilding and opened a Amazon, Victoria's Secret, and Cap 1 card since Jan 2011.

Accounts in collections or 60 days past due or adverse public records.

I have 1 account in collection from about 6 months ago and it's a medical bill for $159 that I've been fighting to get our insurance to pay! *I'm in the right on this one*.  However, have 2 charge-offs from 2007 on a first premier card and a rewards 66 card (total less than $1000)

Sum of credit limits across all open revolving accounts too low.  Unfortunately it's true - have very low credit limits ranging from $300 - $950 on my cards.

However, I wasted an inquiry on Sam's Club so I'd like to at least TRY and call them for a recon???   I know the obvious what I should say "please reconsider, I've been responsible on all my cards, etc."  What else? Help? Any tips? advice?  I REALLY want this card as I actually shop there all the time.  I generally PIF my cards every month.  I'd be good to it...  :smileywink:

Highlighted in red is the kicker.  With multiple charge-off accounts,  getting approved after a recon is highly unlikely.  It won'thurt to ask anyway, but don't expect a yes answer.  If they decline you after the recon, work on cleaning up your credit a bit more before apping for other cards.  Good luck and thanks for your post!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}