Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I try for?

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

What should I try for?

Ok I'm ready to try for an actual CC after fixing things the last 2 years after my soon to be ex & I separated.  I've paid off all my open credit cards.  I have a lease with Chase that has been paid on time the entire year I've had it.  (3 previous auto loans with no late payments ever still on my report)  No mortgage.  I have student loans reporting 10+ years & my lates are no longer reporting. 

Quite a few baddies but nothing in at least 2 years.  Several things went to garnishment/collections/charge off but they have all been paid off.  (yeah I know but my parents insisted if they were going to help me get out of my mess of a marriage I had to pay things off even though I tried to explain it wouldn't help my credit score)  Last one was paid off in January.  Only thing I still owe is 2 closed CC with NFCU.  (they simply closed them due to too many late payments)

I have 3 secured credit cards.  (Am Ex & MC with USAA & Visa with Stellar One)  I shouldn't have too many inquiries as I haven't applied for anything in the last couple years except the secured cards & the auto loan.  My score was low 600s when I checked it a couple months ago.  

After everything posts I will pull a new score beginning of April but wanted to do some research into what cards would be good to go for.  Is USAA too conservative for me to try for a regular card with them at this point?  I was thinking maybe Barclays (if so, which card?) or Chase Freedom or possibly the BP gas card.  Once I finish getting everything with NFCU cleared up I know I can get another card with them but that will probably be later this year. 

Anyone else I'm missing??

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What should I try for?

@mt2va wrote:

Ok I'm ready to try for an actual CC after fixing things the last 2 years after my soon to be ex & I separated.  I've paid off all my open credit cards.  I have a lease with Chase that has been paid on time the entire year I've had it.  (3 previous auto loans with no late payments ever still on my report)  No mortgage.  I have student loans reporting 10+ years & my lates are no longer reporting. 

Quite a few baddies but nothing in at least 2 years.  Several things went to garnishment/collections/charge off but they have all been paid off.  (yeah I know but my parents insisted if they were going to help me get out of my mess of a marriage I had to pay things off even though I tried to explain it wouldn't help my credit score)  Last one was paid off in January.  Only thing I still owe is 2 closed CC with NFCU.  (they simply closed them due to too many late payments)

I have 3 secured credit cards.  (Am Ex & MC with USAA & Visa with Stellar One)  I shouldn't have too many inquiries as I haven't applied for anything in the last couple years except the secured cards & the auto loan.  My score was low 600s when I checked it a couple months ago.  

After everything posts I will pull a new score beginning of April but wanted to do some research into what cards would be good to go for.  Is USAA too conservative for me to try for a regular card with them at this point?  I was thinking maybe Barclays (if so, which card?) or Chase Freedom or possibly the BP gas card.  Once I finish getting everything with NFCU cleared up I know I can get another card with them but that will probably be later this year. 

Anyone else I'm missing??

you said you just paid the last baddie in jan but before that you said it's been at least 2 years since baddies??

how much do you owe on the 2 Navy Cards - are they in a payment plan or just closed and why are they closed?

what are limits and balances on your 3 secured cards and when did you open them?

Message 2 of 4
mt2va
Established Contributor

I haven't had anything go to collections, etc in over 2 years but just finished paying off the last debt in January of this year except for the NFCU cards.  They closed them because I had a 30 day late 2 different times in 2011.  I'm not in a payment plan.  They just show up closed on my credit report & I pay on them monthly when I get the statement.  I owe about $1400 total on them.   

I have no balances on my secured cards.  They are :  USAA Am Ex opened Oct 2012 $500 limit, Stellar One Visa Nov 2012 $300 limit, & USAA MC opened July 2013 $600 limit. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 3 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

have you checked pre-qual for chase, citi, capital one, discover?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.