Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I try to get approved for?

tag
OonaMission
Regular Contributor

What should I try to get approved for?

I have a 2007 Charge Off from Capital One (paid in full) and a collection from 2008 that is being disputed. I had a $1000 credit line with BECU open since 2004, but it's just been closed by the grantor. I had a few more collections on my report when they did the account review that lead to the closing, but those have since come off. It's reporting as open still with a $0 balance. I'm wondering if I should try to apply for credit now before the BECU account reports as closed. I'm thinking it's helping my score right now, but will hurt it next month when it shows as closed. What do you guys think? What could I get approved for with those two derog items on my report? Will the collection show up during my applications even though it's disputed and under investigation right now?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What should I try to get approved for?

what are your current fico's?
Message 2 of 5
OonaMission
Regular Contributor

Eq is 655

Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would probably go back to Capital One and see if your pre-qual.

otherwise maybe kroger but the collections might be deal breaker

household would approve but i wouldn't really recommend unless last resort 

Message 4 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

You need to have some open accounts.     If are denied for unsecured credit,  and you have less than 2 open accounts, I suggest you consider the secured card option.  

The Orchard site does preapprovasl without hard inquiry and you can see what you are approved for.   You might be offered an unsecured card or a secured card.  If you don't take it, no hard inquiry is wasted.

Public Savings Bank does secure VISA card without credit check (no inquiry) and has no annual fee or monthly fee.   Easy way to get a card to use and develop positive history and improve your score.   There is $79 application fee, so I would plan to keep for several years to amortize the cost.  

I started with these 2 cards after large chargeoff of 5 accounts.    

Be very careful.   There are some secured cards that charge outrageous fees and have horrendous terms. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.