cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should my balances be when applying for a new card?

tag
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

What should my balances be when applying for a new card?

Hi there, new user here =]

This Saturday (9/7) I'll be applying for a CC. I currently have 2 CC's; my BofA and Discover. My BofA statement closed last month and I purposefully left a small balance on it (~5%) with the upcoming application in mind (payment not due until 9/17 so I'll pay it off before then to avoid interest). I was under the impression that my Discover should have a small balance to report on Friday (statement cuts 9/6) as well so I currently have it at the same ~5% mark, but after reading around here I seem to get that I should pay it off to 0 before the statement cuts this Friday in order to have a small balance reporting on one card and none on the other. Shoud l? Or should I leave the 5% balance on my Discover as well? It's a Citi Forward that I'll be applying for if it makes any difference.

Thanks to anyone that can help =)

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: What should my balances be when applying for a new card?

Your UTL should be under 20% during app time.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 5
jamie123
Valued Contributor

You should pay the Discover down to $0.

Most people get their best scores by having one card report a small balance and the rest report $0.

You get a small nick for every card more than one that reports a balance.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 3 of 5
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

@jamie123 Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for =)

If anyone knows, why is there a penalty to the credit score for having a small balance on more than one card?

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 4 of 5
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@DieGo2SHAE wrote:

@@jamie123 Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for =)

If anyone knows, why is there a penalty to the credit score for having a small balance on more than one card?

Fico gives or takes away points based on uti % and # of cards with a balance. (Fico doesn't care about the balance amounts really, ony %s)

higher % = lower scores

more # with balances = lower scores

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.