cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What store card do you think looks best?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What store card do you think looks best?

Yep. I am in the app market again. What store card do you think looks best and practical to use here and there. It was going to be Walmart but then thought maybe I should go for something better. Maybe HomeDepot, Lowes, Sears, Victoria's Secret to buy my GF presents. Can you all give me ideas. Toys-R-Us card for batteries or something... I'd like to be able to get some use out of it too. I'd get a petstore card if they had them, I do a lot of shopping for my pets. Thanks for ideas.... Smiley Happy

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 08-29-2008 12:54 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What store card do you think looks best?

I think first and foremost, you need to get a card at a place where you shop a lot to make it worthwhile. Second, look for ones that have perks or rewards for being a cardholder. You also should make sure you are able to PIF since the interest rates are higher than a normal cc. If you carry a balance, it offsets any rewards you may get from the card.

I want to get a Victoria's Secret card. It looks soo pretty but I am being good and waiting til some of my new accounts age some. You also can use your VS card at Bath & Body Works. So if your GF likes that store..that might be good. I know there are some other perks but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Here is some info on other store cards I do have:

Old Navy is another card you can use at other stores. You can shop at Banana Republic and the Gap as well as some online shopping site with their card and they sometimes have good promotions for cardholders and a rewards program.

I also like Kohls and JCPenneys because they often give you additional discounts and coupons if you use their cards, so I save a lot but I shop there often too. Penney's also just started a rewards program. JCP is also pretty good about offering credit increases without a hard pull at your request. You can also ask Kohls to increase your credit without a hard pull but IMO they are more conservative with granting them because they are run by Chase.

Finally, Macy's also gives coupons and promotions often for cardmembers. They are very generous with their guideline increases without a hard pull. (A guideline increase is just Macy's terminology as a credit increase.) They are known for bumping up CLs easily if your account is in good standing and you use the card once in a while. I think the more you use it the better the guideline increases. HTH. Smiley Happy

PS-I think the Petsmart might also be a good one. I don't know if they have rewards or perks but I think they let you put a picture of your pet on it. I think that's cool.
Message 2 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

KIss Chase Visa card.  I will go for it next year as soon as all the INQs fall off.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Home Depot. The line will be among the largest of all store cards. Other than that one of the higher class anchor stores in the US malls. As an aside I have seen people with very outsized credit limits on gas cards but that's a crapshoot. One of whatever you decide to go for is enough though.

Like I was told too many store cards and low limit rebuilders on a credit report are like kitty litter. Major avoid if you want to present the best picture possible on future manual reviews.
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep. I am in the app market again. What store card do you think looks best and practical to use here and there. It was going to be Walmart but then thought maybe I should go for something better. Maybe HomeDepot, Lowes, Sears, Victoria's Secret to buy my GF presents. Can you all give me ideas. Toys-R-Us card for batteries or something... I'd like to be able to get some use out of it too. I'd get a petstore card if they had them, I do a lot of shopping for my pets. Thanks for ideas.... Smiley Happy

I don't much care about the appearances of my cards; I learned the hard way to go for the bank behind them, plus the likelihood of decent CL's and whether I actually go there. I have:

Home Depot store card: issued by Citi, $4K CL, decent 0% deals for big-ticket items if you don't mind carrying balances (I hate to); flame orange color very appropriate for Vols fans and other colleges cursed with orange as trademark color. I'd actually like to have a Lowe's card, but I'm not dealing with GEMB.

Best Buy store card: issued by HSBC, 'nuff said. But I got a $2500 CL, which is nice for util, as I don't carry balances on it. Livid bright blue with yellow. Unlike HSBC bank cards, it reports the statement balance on the statement date.

J.Crew store card: issued by despised (by me) WFNNB, as is Victoria's Secret. Never get a WFNNB if you think that you might default on the card, as I have heard horror stories. But I got a 30-60-90 on it due to a ridiculous battle of wills with a daughter who said that she would pay it, and I never got crap from them. When I decided I'd better reactivate it, they did so promptly, and they've since doubled my CL. But their reporting is bizarre, to say the least. Card is a nice tasteful color-0f-money dark green. Good deals with early sales and free shipping.

I also have co-branded Borders (Visa) and Barnes and Nobles (MC), and they have decent rewards, but you're asking about store cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Victoria's Secret card and thier pink card (the regular one) is a lot better looking than thier V.I.P. card. My Chase Amazon.com Visa is a good looking card. But I like the rewards better on my Amazon.com Visa card.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For pure aesthetics, Nordstrom's store card is awesome.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.