cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What store cards give the most bang for the buck?

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: What store cards give the most bang for the buck?

@sengpatt wrote:
Re: Target RedCard

It seems like the debit card version is just as good as the normal CC? 5% off and free internet shipping, but without all the hassle of the application process, the notoriously low limits, and the sky-high APR. Am I missing something? I frequently shop at Target, so I am looking into this for the near future.

Target debit card does have a very high return payment fee, should you ever bounced a check. Debit card withdraw the fund from your checking account the very next day.

Message 21 of 37
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Also, re: the OP

I just got approved for the Gap Visa, and it seems like a good deal. I've recently started doing some more shopping at Gap and Banana Republic, so I'm glad that I can earn bonus points at both stores. You can also use it at Old Navy and the affiliated online store, but I probably won't use those too much.

You get a $10 gift certificate for every $200 spent at those stores, so about 5% back. Also, 10% off every Tuesday and frequent coupon/shopping specials. Reportedly they have also give bonuses for out-of-network spending (2x or 3x points) during certain periods.

The APR is a little ridiculous, but that is to be expected for store cards. As long as you PIF and shop fairly regularly at Gap and its partner stores, I don't see much to complain about.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 22 of 37
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:

It seems like the debit card version is just as good as the normal CC? 5% off and free internet shipping, but without all the hassle of the application process, the notoriously CLs, and the sky-high APR. Am I missing something? I frequently shop at Target, so I am looking into this for the near future.

I have both and they offer the same benefits so i'd suggest just getting the Debit Card. I decided to get a really good laptop couple weeks ago and had to split $200 on my credit and rest on the debit. I was able to get the 5% off the whole thing.

Message 23 of 37
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Sengpatt:

Target's CC portfolio was recently purchased by another bank, so we've all been hopeful that the crappy CLs will end.
Message 24 of 37
toppers555
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@sengpatt wrote:

It seems like the debit card version is just as good as the normal CC? 5% off and free internet shipping, but without all the hassle of the application process, the notoriously low limits, and the sky-high APR. Am I missing something? I frequently shop at Target, so I am looking into this for the near future.

Target debit card does have a very high return payment fee, should you ever bounced a check. Debit card withdraw the fund from your checking account the very next day.

+1   I am so close to ending them for the $200 cl limbo they have me in.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 25 of 37
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

If you're a frequent JCP shopper then I highly recommend the JCP card! 20% on clothing, shoes, and accessories and 10% on jewelry, watches, and home shopping pass, good for 24 hours PLUS a code to use for an online order. When you receive the card in the mail, you earn a $10 coupon, then after that the card doubles as a rewards card, where you can earn a $10 coupon for every $100 you spend per month (starting at the very first purchase, so yes, you're earning points even with the discounts!), up to 10 coupons! That's 10% cash back redeemable at every $100 interval and a max cap of $1200 per year! Coupons can be combined as well Smiley Happy Card is also good at CVS and RiteAid.

Message 26 of 37
Anf_dude
Contributor

I Really Like My GapCard Because I Can Use It At Other Stores Like Banana Republic, Old Navy, Etc. 

the Rewards Are Amazing. I Only Got A 200 Initial Credit LiNe But That Earned Me About The Same $200 In Rewards.! They Often Have Cardholder Exclusive Sales From All Their Stores And Send You A Lot Of Mailers With Coupon Cards. 

Message 27 of 37
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Kohls for sure - frequent 15-30% discounts on everything.  There's usually good stuff at 60% off on clearance then I get another 15% or more paying on the card.

Walmart, I've had their Discover for two months.  Haven't seen special offers or a CLI but like the monthly TU FICO when you opt for paperless statements.

I never applied for Target because I heard about low CL and likelihood I would be denied for BK.  I do have their debit card, and just saved a bundle on an online order of furniture.  Stuff was on sale, 15% more for ordering more than $125, 5% more for Red Card plus free freight (almost $150) for Red Card.  So until we hear what TD Bank does with CL and CLI I figure I'm just as well off with the Target Debit card.

Best Buy - BBRZMC - have had this as a rebuilder and used 0% offer.  Started with a $500 CL, soft CLI on request every 6 months so the line is up to $1600.

I've had Macy's for a long time, it survived my BK and I've used it for 0% on furniture.  Their reporting is still flakey although I do have a stated credit line on my statement now.

Jared - very high limit, I use it once or twice a year for small purchases to keep that big line helping my utilization.

Store cards are always dangerous because they have very high interest rates, and when you take a 0% offer is you slip up in any way they hit you will the full accrued interest.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 37
Smug
Established Contributor

AMAZON!
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 29 of 37
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@Anf_dude wrote:

I Really Like My GapCard Because I Can Use It At Other Stores Like Banana Republic, Old Navy, Etc. 

the Rewards Are Amazing. I Only Got A 200 Initial Credit LiNe But That Earned Me About The Same $200 In Rewards.! They Often Have Cardholder Exclusive Sales From All Their Stores And Send You A Lot Of Mailers With Coupon Cards. 

I love all three of their cards...yes, i have all three

Used two coupon codes and also one 10.00 reward and one 30.00 reward from my old navy card when i got upgraded to the visa. Got my paid of 1969 skinny jeans for $13.17

I love to shop...But i shop where there are bargains

I love my NY&Co card as well. just used a 30% off code and 20.00 coupon. Got like 2 pairs of pants, 3 tops and a belt for 64.00....

And  i think i should have another 20.00 reward on my next statement as well.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.