Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the h3ll did I just do?

tag
randeman
Frequent Contributor

What the h3ll did I just do?

With all the great comments about GE Capital cards and generous increases, I went to the GE site and applied for the Paypal MC.  It was the only one that even remotely appealed to me, not that I really use Paypal.  I was approved for something called a "smart connect".  I think I screwed up.  I wanted the Mastercard, but guess I didn't qualify for it or didn't get it for some other reason.

As I stated, I have used PayPal ONCE in my life.  I know it works for people who don't have cards/can't get them, but what the heck good does this "smart connect" thingie do for me?   Can I recon?  Need advice.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
londonhogfan
Contributor

Re: What the h3ll did I just do?

you can use smartconnect anywhere that accepts paypal. many places online and I think Home Depot B&M stores.

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 2 of 6
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You can use it for small purchases, pif, and get credit line increases!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 6
zerobacan
Established Contributor

When you have paypal and you get it verified (they SP your CR), they will give you the option to get a PayPal debit card.

That card will pull the money you have in your paypal account, but it will also pull money out of your "Smart Connect" line of credit

you just got as a backup funding source.

Then you can use your smart connect line of credit to buy anything you want using the debit card as a credit card,

if you use the card as credit they will give you 1.5% cash back.

Any other question?

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 4 of 6
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@londonhogfan wrote:

you can use smartconnect anywhere that accepts paypal. many places online and I think Home Depot B&M stores.

And I would be all over this, except I rarely shop online.  Not to sound snobbish, but I pretty much live in New York City; two miles away.  I think just about anything on Earth can be bought here, so why shop online?  I venture to guess that everything that I would have even an inkling to buy is a cab or subway ride away.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 5 of 6
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@zerobacan wrote:

When you have paypal and you get it verified (they SP your CR), they will give you the option to get a PayPal debit card.

That card will pull the money you have in your paypal account, but it will also pull money out of your "Smart Connect" line of credit

you just got as a backup funding source.

Then you can use your smart connect line of credit to buy anything you want using the debit card as a credit card,

if you use the card as credit they will give you 1.5% cash back.

Any other question?

Folks, thanks one and all for your answers, but this is my new best friend.  Text me every five minutes.  Now I am happy.  No further questions.  At this time.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.