cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is going on with Synchrony?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: What the heck is going on with Synchrony?

@Anonymous wrote:

So what all you guys are saying is I shouldn't have asked AZ for a CLI last night? Smiley Sad lol

Knowing what we know now if someone asked me I would likely recommend for them to hold off a little while, but what's done is done, and most likely you'll be just fine.  Smiley Wink

In any case if you truly needed it you were right to ask regardless.

At this point I wouldn't sweat it... I got a couple of nice increases just a few weeks ago myself.  Smiley Happy

Message 281 of 876
driftless
Valued Contributor

I don't have any Synchrony cards but I have been following these threads. The one thing that I can glean out is that all those who have had an AA have had 5 cards or more or who have a family member who has 5 cards or more. There have been a couple of posts from folks who have talked to CSR at Synchrony who said the same. Not surprising, the posters who are frozen often have max exposure.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 282 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Seriously guys.... No one should be calling Synchrony for clis. Like back away from the chat and phone. 😜

I haven't tapped them since January, and now I think I never will again.

Message 283 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Saw this thread so I checked my accounts...I have three accounts plus an Amazon card with them, all with zero balances, about $20K CL in total. I can access the accounts fine, I don't see anything online indicating any issues...though I haven't tried to make any charges recently.

I hadn't realized, or I just forgot, that Chevron was also a Synchrony account...so that makes 5 total for me, with a $22,200 CL in total...and I used my Chevron card this morning for gas, and it worked fine.

Message 284 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
I don't have any Synchrony cards but I have been following these threads. The one thing that I can glean out is that all those who have had an AA have had 5 cards or more or who have a family member who has 5 cards or more. There have been a couple of posts from folks who have talked to CSR at Synchrony who said the same. Not surprising, the posters who are frozen often have max exposure.

I believe Swampy99 only had 4 accounts and his/her accounts were frozen, so I don't know if that's it. 

I'd be curious to know how many of those who had their accounts frozen have income that's easily verifiable (i.e. their employer reports to The Work Number or something similar)? With so many people that this is happening to, there has to be something that flagged their accounts. I highly doubt Synchrony is simply pulling names out of a hat to select people for review - but then again, you never know.

Message 285 of 876
ohreally7654
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ohreally7654 wrote:

As an aside, for anyone who has had their accounts recently frozen, you will likely see that synchrony has just reported all of your current balances to the bureaus. This makes me really Smiley MadI am always so careful to not allow balances report. But now they've reported $83 on my SAMs, $120 on my Walmart, $90 on my Amazon and $25 on my Banana, mid-cycle. Thank you, yet again, Synchrony. Your accounts are just the gifts that keep on giving. 

They have been reporting mid-cycle on me (sometimes 3-4 times in a cycle) for several months now, so I understand your frustration.

Wow are you kidding me? I had no idea this was happening. What the heck, I'm sure that's been really frustrating for you as well. To make it look like you're carrying a bunch of balances on multiple cards is obviously not a good thing especially if other lenders SP you while you have a bunch of balances reporting Smiley Mad

Started rebuilding 8/2015. Current Fico 8 Scores 9/17: TU FICO: 698 (from 646 3/15/16) | EX FICO: 689 (from 617 3/15/16) | EQ FICO: 670 (from 614 3/15/16). Discover Miles: $10K | Amex PRG | Amex BCE $2K | Amex SPG $2K | Citi Aadvantage $7K | JetBlue Plus MC $3.9K | Walmart MC $3.5K | Marvel MC $5K | NFCU CashRewards $15K | CareCredit $12K | PenFed Amex $9K | USAA Limitless Visa Sig $6K | NFCU goRewards $20K | NFCU Amex $10.4K | NavCheck $13.5K | Blispay $4K | QS $9.5K | Pier 1 $21.1K | RH $20.7K | JCrew $16.8K | Wayfair $4.9K | Pottery Barn $19.5K | Discover IT $4.1K | Nord. Visa Sig $22K | USAA Visa Plat $2.5K | Neiman Marcus $6.4k | Amex Delta Reserve $1k | Saks $15K | VS $2.2K | Target $1K | Macy's $25K | Bloomies Amex $25K| West Elm $12.4K | PP Credit (Comenity) $4.4K
Message 286 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys i need help on what to do. I haven't experenced adverse action but i will explain my situation. I claim income of 60,000 but my salary is only 40k. The additional 20k is bonus income i receive on work performance which is not reported to the Internal Revenue Service by my employer or on my tax returns. I was at 50k exposure and just recently shaved that number to $19k. My question is, should i adjust my income for the 3 remaining Synchrony accounts to 40k and what should i do with the unactivated stash card for $15k i received in the mail yesterday? Is 40k enough to support a $19k credit limit? In all honesty, I don't want anything to do with Synchrony anymore.

Message 287 of 876
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

If you don't want anything to do with Synchrony then put your income to only Provable Net income.
Message 288 of 876
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ohreally7654 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ohreally7654 wrote:

As an aside, for anyone who has had their accounts recently frozen, you will likely see that synchrony has just reported all of your current balances to the bureaus. This makes me really Smiley MadI am always so careful to not allow balances report. But now they've reported $83 on my SAMs, $120 on my Walmart, $90 on my Amazon and $25 on my Banana, mid-cycle. Thank you, yet again, Synchrony. Your accounts are just the gifts that keep on giving. 

They have been reporting mid-cycle on me (sometimes 3-4 times in a cycle) for several months now, so I understand your frustration.

Wow are you kidding me? I had no idea this was happening. What the heck, I'm sure that's been really frustrating for you as well. To make it look like you're carrying a bunch of balances on multiple cards is obviously not a good thing especially if other lenders SP you while you have a bunch of balances reporting Smiley Mad

Perhaps oddly, this is actually another argument for having a Synchrony account with a larger credit line than you really need. 

Since it's next to impossible to 'plan' your charges so that the reported amount is $0, the next best thing is to have a credit line large enough so that it doesn't make a difference.  This was actually my own plan when I got my CLI on my Sam's Club MasterCard, since I generally charge over $1k on it each month (and always PIF).

I'm not saying my level of spending would justify a $35k credit line, just that it's one way some people have looked at the situation... sometimes a larger CL isn't just vanity. Smiley Wink

Message 289 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Guys i need help on what to do. I haven't experenced adverse action but i will explain my situation. I claim income of 60,000 but my salary is only 40k. The additional 20k is bonus income i receive on work performance which is not reported to the Internal Revenue Service by my employer or on my tax returns. I was at 50k exposure and just recently shaved that number to $19k. My question is, should i adjust my income for the 3 remaining Synchrony accounts to 40k and what should i do with the unactivated stash card for $15k i received in the mail yesterday? Is 40k enough to support a $19k credit limit? In all honesty, I don't want anything to do with Synchrony anymore.

Your employer doesn't report all your income? How do they justify that?

Message 290 of 876
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.