cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is going on with Synchrony?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What the heck is going on with Synchrony?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a thought, but until we all figure out what is going on - may be best not to do anything to draw unneeded attention to your accounts at this time (CLI requests, adding AU's, etc). I remember when the advice was given to avoid drawing attention to Comenity accounts- seems the same good advice would apply to Synchrony accounts at this time.

Really disappointed and sad to see this happening to those affected. There may be a very broad brush with which their algorithm is sweeping along - so we may not be able to find a common thread. At this point, FICO's, payment history, and balances (mostly PIF) seems to be pretty solid from those who have reported frozen accounts. Smiley Sad

I think the most irritating thing in all of this is that they involve Lexis Nexis in the 4506 t situation and share information with them, which means it gets shared with a lot of others we have no control over and don't know about. That's just wrong.

Synchrony has over 68 million acconts, per their own admission.

Good thread, musiclover.

Thanks, humu. So many posts about Synchrony, I was hoping a generic thread might help everyone.

Message 21 of 876
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think it's good advice to avoid drawing attention to accounts with any lender if you don't need to. Just because we get bored doesn't mean we should call for APR reductions or SP CLIs that we don't need. Anything that makes a human review your account can lead to this type of thing. Of course, the computer flags accounts, too, without you having called in, but calling in doesn't help anything.

Not that people should live in fear over this, but a lot of the things we call about are not exactly necessary, so it may pay to pare that back a bit.

As  far as what's going on, I just think it's standard AA from people being overexposed/too many new accounts/etc. We've all seen this enough times that it isn't much of a mystery. The trick is to learn from it. Don't run to another lender. Look at the situation and fix your profile. If you have a 30k income, 200k in credit is probably excessive.  Adding a new account every month is not behavior creditors want to see. Synch isn't the problem, and if you want to avoid problems down the road with other lenders, fix the problem, don't assume it's just a Synch thing.

Good luck to those who face this.

Message 22 of 876
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I have almost $30K in exposure with them across 5 accts. at the moment but less than $600 in UTIL---and it's going to stay that way until this blows over. As of right now I'm not locked out. NO calls to CS for increases either--what I have is what I have to work with! And I just get AEO Visa 2 days ago and was going to go for Ebates sometime next year and try to get each of my other cards to $5K--$15K--and $25K mark--going to have to rethink that plan in leiu of all this. Good luck everbody!

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 23 of 876
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Synchrony has brought this upon themselves, like Comenity; and now they must take the steps they feel are necessary to ascertain and subsequently address the problem. It never made sense to me why they needed to offer such high credit limits on primarily store cards with interest rates approaching 30% on a significant number of those products.That doesn't seem like a sensible combination to me, and it doesn't take a Harvard MBA to figure that out. It's unclear how they are identifying individuals in their audits, however, I would not be surprised by additional corrective measures to come. It's evident that Synchrony has identified risk in this business given the across-the-board exorbitant interest rates on the majority of their products. Maybe it's just me, but those credit terms look very similar to those usually reserved for subprime borrowers. I certainly don't feel deserving of 27.99% or whatever it is now on my oldest credit card, JCP Platinum MasterCard.

Unlike many others, Synchrony comprises a negligible portion of my report, and I have no issue letting them go if they get too froggy. 

Message 24 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditplz wrote:
I have no clue, but my accounts have been in "review" for about 2 weeks now.. When they say review it normally means 4506-T from what the rep told me. Also once one account is under review, every account is under review under your SSN, the number to call for Synchrony 4506-T is 800-420-5598.

Thanks for the info Creditplz. If I'm not mistaken, I believe you were the first to report this was happening with Synchrony. If everyone else that this happened to today has to provide a 4506-T, it makes me wonder why all of the sudden they're requesting income verification from so many people. Maybe they recently started using a new 3rd party for income verification and the income isn't matching what was reported?

I'm sorry this is happening and I hope everything works out for everyone.

On a more positive note, at least they are giving folks an opportunity to prove their income to keep their accounts open. Comenity was just closing folks account with no recourse. 

Good luck!

Message 25 of 876
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Posted a month ago : http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Perhaps-why-Synchrony-is-tightening-standards-big...

Saw it coming, thankfully I only have 3 accounts Amazon, Sams and Lowes and they have not been dinged

Message 26 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplz wrote:

image.pngHere's a article on the WSJ about defaults on cards rising.. Could this be one of the issues Smiley Surprised?? 

Thanks for the information!

Message 27 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks as if people's personal (and private) tax information is going directly to LexisNexis, who can then share it with anyone they choose, since they are a 3rd party collector of information and definitely do share the information they collect with others:

I can't post a link here to due myfico posting rules, but do a google seach for Synchrony and 4506 TEZ request and you will see what I mean. It's the first listing that comes in the google search when you use all of those search terms. Be sure to use all of the search terms in bold above.

You really need to take a careful look at the above before deciding to release your 4506t to anyone!

Personal information being out there without any control over it is not a good idea.

Message 28 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a thought, but until we all figure out what is going on - may be best not to do anything to draw unneeded attention to your accounts at this time (CLI requests, adding AU's, etc). I remember when the advice was given to avoid drawing attention to Comenity accounts- seems the same good advice would apply to Synchrony accounts at this time.

Good advice Hum!Smiley Happy Hopefully, people will listen this time. I know when similar advice was given about Comenity some folks took heed and others continued business as usual and eventually their accounts were shut down. 

We have at least one data point that I can remember. Per WaveRider his/her friend had just opened 2 new Synchrony accounts before they requested 4506T from him/her.

Message 29 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think it's good advice to avoid drawing attention to accounts with any lender if you don't need to. Just because we get bored doesn't mean we should call for APR reductions or SP CLIs that we don't need. Anything that makes a human review your account can lead to this type of thing. Of course, the computer flags accounts, too, without you having called in, but calling in doesn't help anything.

Not that people should live in fear over this, but a lot of the things we call about are not exactly necessary, so it may pay to pare that back a bit.

As  far as what's going on, I just think it's standard AA from people being overexposed/too many new accounts/etc. We've all seen this enough times that it isn't much of a mystery. The trick is to learn from it. Don't run to another lender. Look at the situation and fix your profile. If you have a 30k income, 200k in credit is probably excessive.  Adding a new account every month is not behavior creditors want to see. Synch isn't the problem, and if you want to avoid problems down the road with other lenders, fix the problem, don't assume it's just a Synch thing.

Good luck to those who face this.

Well said KDM! 

Message 30 of 876
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.