cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is going on with Synchrony?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: What the heck is going on with Synchrony?

I know that they probably do love balances as there is interest to be earned but i look at it 2 fold, one i want to try my hardest not to carry too much balance for by any bad luck or unforseen event i lose my job i dont want to be stuck too far out on the ledge, and 2 with Synchrony, im being proactive to try to keep bslances at zero or pif soonest . I wanna be able to close my cards super quick if i have to before they decide they will for not getting a yes to any blue envelope! Smiley Happy No SireeSmiley Wink. Knowledge is key and myFico is the treasure chest of which i pillageSmiley Happy
Message 861 of 876
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I suppose I've been lucky. 

I have a total exposure with them of $101,800 across 9 store cards and 9 Dual Cards. Granted, I didn't app for them all within a year which probably helped, and I've been closing store cards as I've acquired Dual cards with them. 

In fact, I apped for EBates yesterday and got the 7-10 message. I have a couple store cards that I'm willing to axe if I need to free up some exposure. I haven't gotten an alert of a credit pull yet so I might be getting a call for verification sooner or later.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 862 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only Synchrony backed account I have at the moment is a 'credit card' (I see it as a loan as I never activated the card they sent to me) for my mattress my husband and I bought from Mattress Firm. Trust me, we needed a new mattress, our old one was close to 19 years old (got it when I was pregnant with our son, who turns 19 this year). It's a $3200 mattress, but not super fancy, we just had to get a very good quality one due to husband's physical issues (herniated disk, neck issues, nerve issues) so the bed was a good investment and not just a 'well I HAVE to keep up with the Jones!!'

As for Synchrony accounts, I have to limit my exposure to them because I want a Lowes card and I need to be able to be approved for a New Egg account in the future. I'm currently gardening so I'm not applying for anything, but still being able to will help.

Message 863 of 876
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I just read all 87 pages of this wonderful thread. Took about 6 or 7 days, sneaking in a quick read whenever possible. Truly a very informative thread. Maybe I'll tackle the "High Achievers" thread next?? 

My take away, I may apply for a Lowe's account at the one year anniversary of my Care Credit account.  

I have 1 Synch account, care credit, @ $8k limit.  I'll NEVER provide a 4506-T, or whatever it's called.  I'd rather close Care Credit, And not get a Lowe's card than to give my info away to Lexis Nexus.  

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 864 of 876
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, you are definitely the man GWMSmiley Wink. I love when this thread rears its head as it brings back some good memories lol. Seriously though, it is a great read especially for those with Synchrony accounts. Im shocked i havent been hit yet but to say the least thankfully i got my apps out of the way before this blue cookie monster showed up and i do use my accounts responsibly. My downfall would probably be for too many cli request but now its almost a dare looking for an excuse to cut back my cardsSmiley Happy. It easier said than done closing an 8-10k especially when you know what you went through to reach that limitSmiley Happy
Message 865 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

I just read all 87 pages of this wonderful thread. Took about 6 or 7 days, sneaking in a quick read whenever possible. Truly a very informative thread. Maybe I'll tackle the "High Achievers" thread next?? 

My take away, I may apply for a Lowe's account at the one year anniversary of my Care Credit account.  

@I have 1 Synch account, care credit, @ $8k limit.  I'll NEVER provide a 4506-T, or whatever it's called.  I'd rather close Care Credit, And not get a Lowe's card than to give my info away to Lexis Nexus.  

Happy you found the thread informative! So many people were willing to share their story here. Hopefully, it gives a pretty complete story of the whole Synchrony story we need to know.

Message 866 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, you are definitely the man GWMSmiley Wink. I love when this thread rears its head as it brings back some good memories lol. Seriously though, it is a great read especially for those with Synchrony accounts. Im shocked i havent been hit yet but to say the least thankfully i got my apps out of the way before this blue cookie monster showed up and i do use my accounts responsibly. My downfall would probably be for too many cli request but now its almost a dare looking for an excuse to cut back my cardsSmiley Happy. It easier said than done closing an 8-10k especially when you know what you went through to reach that limitSmiley Happy

I keep watch on my Synchrony accounts, too, AJC! Hopefully, I am below their radar. I am concerned when I read in the approvals threads that someone has applied for multiple Synchrony accounts at the same time.

Message 867 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the risk of repeating myself - something I'm prone to Smiley Tongue - I have only one Synchrony account right now (Amazon Prime) and I'm keeping it that way for at least the next few months while I ply spade and hoe. I'm not even touching the CLI button after my disappointing experience last month. In the fall, I might consider applying for a Walmart store card, and possibly a Care Credit (or that card you use at auto repair shops, what do they call it again? Car Credit or something like that?) but certainly not a whole bunch of cards that I have no realistic prospect of using.

Message 868 of 876
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Joe, when you feel your TU is high enough, feel free to go for your cli but id call CS. Its good to use caution but too much can hold you backSmiley Wink

ML, im the same way when i read all those quick pickups. But you see ,its almost natural for someone to go for a Walmart then an Amazon etc, its almost liked they're linked. I guess the only real way to learn is after the fact lol. Great daySmiley Happy
Message 869 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Joe, when you feel your TU is high enough, feel free to go for your cli but id call CS. Its good to use caution but too much can hold you backSmiley Wink

ML, im the same way when i read all those quick pickups. But you see ,its almost natural for someone to go for a Walmart then an Amazon etc, its almost liked they're linked. I guess the only real way to learn is after the fact lol. Great daySmiley Happy

Well, the thing is that I DID call CS on my March attempt after I got the 7-10 day message when I tried the "luv" button. As I posted elsewhere, when I got the denial letter I wondered why they had approved me for an account in the first place because all the reasons they listed for not giving me a CLI were reasons that were on my report (except for opening other accounts) when I signed up back in November.

Anyway, I'll give it another shot in the fall with CS if/when my TU looks high enough.

Message 870 of 876
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.