Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do next?

A little about my credit history first....

Oldest account-11.8 years.

AAOA-4.9Exp&Equ and 5.1 TU.

No baddies...just had a 30 day late removed that should hit by next report.

I was sitting at 90% Util (before reading this forum I actually thought it was BUILDING my credit carrying a balance) I tried to pay them of before statement date....however I missed one so last statement I was still sitting at about 50% Util....so I suspect my scores will go up a bit this month.

I paid cash for most things for years but in 2012 I really started trying to obtain credit to give myself some. I took out a home equity loan on a home I purchased cash in order to build my credit...and took out an auto loan and quad loan that I have held onto. Prior to that I would only keep cars a year to 18 months before paying them off or selling them.

I have:

Home equity Loan.

Car Payment.

4 wheeler. 

CC-

VS-(2009)-$1885 (Never requested a CLI-Realized it was a SP and CLI'd it from 1250 to 1885 last night)

USAA-(2012)-$5000 (Never CLI)

Credit Union-(2013)- $7500 (Never CLI)

BofA-(2012)-$300 (Started secured....have never CLI'd when I went to unsecure they gave me another $6,000 card. I really want to CLI this)

BofA-(2013)-$6000 (Have never CLI'd)

Kohls-(2013) $300 (Never CLI'd)

Income $156,000-$300,000. Self employed but incoorperated. I pay myself a W2 wage and recieve dividends. I also have consistent income from the government and rental income monthly.

5 inquiries in 2 years across the board. 0 on TU in the last year. 2 on Eq/Exp both from April/May of last year.

I really want to apply for the Sallie Mae card...poking around I think its my best option (though I am open to other ideas) I know I need to wait until my CC payoff hits...which I will be around 9% on 1 card. I also want to up my BofA cards....especially the $300 one....I get an extra 75% on the 123 reward cards (which both of mine are) because of the balance I carry in my accounts. What order should I do this in? What income amount should I use? Will BofA use 1 HP to CLI both my credit cards with them?

Current scores are TU-726 EQ-736 Ex-712.

I tried to do as much research as I could before asking...so thank you in advance for any help/advice you are willing to give.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: What to do next?

Ashley, your plan sounds solid.  What exactly is your question?  Sorry if I missed it. Smiley Embarassed

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What order should I do this in? What income amount should I use? Will BofA use 1 HP to CLI both my credit cards with them?

It was inside my long post...sorry! I just wanted to make sure I put all the info in there.

Also I'm wondering if the Amex Blue Cash might be a better option.
Message 3 of 11
sunkissed
Established Contributor

What order?

Request your CLI’s first, let them report, then apply for a new card.

What income?

The income reported on your personal tax return

Will BoA use 1HP?

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t count on just one unless you ask them to use the same HP.  They'll let you know if they cannot.

Blue Cash instead of Sallie Mae?

I don’t know.  What type of spend are you trying to get rewards on?  It looks like you are interested in cashback, is that correct?

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes...
Monthly
$300 groceries.
$200 gas/I work from home.
$1000 Cable/internet/util/insurance.
$1000 Shopping/Clothes/Daughter/Mostly Amazon.
$2000 Travel/Eating/outdoor activities.
I take 2-4 vacations a year...typically $5-$10k. In addition I typically cover expenses for family members. Utilities and sending items via Amazon.
Message 5 of 11
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Ashley, hold tight.  I'm not an expert about all the cashback cards available.  I'll let some of the more seasoned member come to your aid.

You've given us a great information about where you're at creditwise and what you're hoping to get.

Message 6 of 11
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@AshleyAng wrote:

Income $156,000-$300,000. Self employed but incoorperated. I pay myself a W2 wage and recieve dividends. I also have consistent income from the government and rental income monthly.

a little off topic, but why do you double-tax yourself? You should be paying yourself entirely in wages. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am actually preventing myself from being double taxed.
S-Corporations are a ‘pass-through’ entity, which means all the profits of the corporation pass through directly to me as a shareholder....on my tax returns. S-Corps do not pay corporate income taxes. Meaning I only pay self employment taxes on my wages...not my dividends. My dividends are taxed as unearned income. Per IRS guidelines I just have to pay myself a "reasonable salary".
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you SunSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 11
sunkissed
Established Contributor

No problem!  Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.  Good luck!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.