Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do to reverse the damage

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do to reverse the damage

This has been a fascinating thread because I had never encountered this type of problem with recurring charges and closing accounts! It's something that I will definitely keep in mind if I ever decide to close a card in the future. This reminds me that maybe I should write down all my recurring charges and the cards they go on in a separate place for easy access. Though really, I think most of my recurring charges go on the CSP since all my "non-bonus" spend go on there. This is a similar problem to having auto-debit and forgetting about it when you close your checking account. One of the reasons that I'm been too lazy to move from WF to Chase (even with the bonus) bc of my auto-debits.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 21 of 27
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Keep hammering BofA ask to talk to a supervisor, then to their supervisor, etc, etc, until you get someone that can help you. Most of the front line CSR don't know much and can do even less.

Same with ATT if you go that rout, ask for the "escalation department" as soon as someone answers your call, they can get things done. I've had bad experiences with AT&T as a whole over the last 10+ years, the glowing exception is the "escalation dept.", they've always fixed whatever mistake was made and compensated me accordingly.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 27
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I've never closed a BoA card, but the 2 Cap1 cards I've closed prompted me that any charges within 30 days of closing will reactivate the account. So to update any billing info, etc. to avoid charges.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 23 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I wouldn't say Bank of America did nothing wrong. Maybe nothing illegal, but lets not kid ourselves. Bank of America has this policy so they can jam people up and charge extra interest. They are counting on people to forget to remove all their automatic payments. If the bank wanted to do the right thing by their consumers they would refuse to honor transactions on closed out cards. Instead they take advantage of their customers who may not be savvy to this practice. So while they did not do something illegal, I would suggest that they are morally wrong for this type of business practice. 

So it's their fault you decide not to cancel all recurring charges and check statements to make sure everything is as it should be? Everyone is always so quick to blame banks just because they're banks. There comes a time when people should stop blaming others and accept they are at fault. The governement should not have to baby people just because they refuse to be responsible.

I'm not the OP so I didn't fail to cancel any recurring charges. Also, last time I checked BoA isn't the goverment, so I am not sure what the government has to do with this. One of my first posts in this thread wass that the OP has some blame here. However, I think the results are draconian in nature in that the OP's credit now took a heavy hit for a charge they would have simply paid if they had been made aware. I do think BoA could develop some a policy that is a bit more consumer friendly in this type of situatuin but they chose not to do so, although I think we are straying off topic from OPs current problem.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 24 of 27
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah, we can't discuss government here.

It is the OP's fault, but bad banking, non consumer friendly practices need to be brought to light; that is what the CFPB is for.
As such, it's worthy to note that re-opening a closed account to allow a charge(at the bank's discretion per the T&Cs) which then results in a collection or minor derogatory(which could drop anyone's score by 100+ pts) is a bad practice.
I'm very satisfied with BOA atm myself, and of course the OP should take responsibility.

Good luck op! There are a lot of non-supportive folks here, but you certainly can get your problem(s) solved with a little action. Remember to be nice too as "karma can be a b****" as the saying goes :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 25 of 27
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I'm not the OP so I didn't fail to cancel any recurring charges. Also, last time I checked BoA isn't the goverment, so I am not sure what the government has to do with this. One of my first posts in this thread wass that the OP has some blame here. However, I think the results are draconian in nature in that the OP's credit now took a heavy hit for a charge they would have simply paid if they had been made aware. I do think BoA could develop some a policy that is a bit more consumer friendly in this type of situatuin but they chose not to do so, although I think we are straying off topic from OPs current problem.  

I meant "you" in general, not specifically talking about you. I brought up the governemnt because this is the kind of stuff people complain to the government about and then the governement feels the need to intervene. Have you not heard of the CARD Act? Bank of America has absolutely no blame in this situation since what happened was completely not their fault. All they did was report the late as they should; they cannot control what scoring models choose to punish people for. Bank of America is not alone in this practice. If it were the other way around and people's other accounts were cancelled or charged fees because lenders refused the recurring charges then people would say that that was wrong too. As said, it's not as if this policy is some sneaky tactic. They tell you this when you are closing the card and it's in the paperwork that you receive when you get the card. If the customer decides to no listen or read then they deserve it.

Message 26 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As pointed out by someone earlier, Bank of America had a history of doing this with bank accounts, creating "zombie" bank accounts suddenly activated generating fees.  Last year they finally agreed no longer to do this, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/bank-of-america-zombie-checking-policy_n_1813573.html

In the credit card case, it is hard for the OP, but I assume there would be plenty of stories the other way: a vendor you forgot about tries to place a charge two days after you close the card, the transaction fails and the vendor imposes penalties or cancels something you really want.  

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.