Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do? want to App Spree strategically

tag
ontheuptick
Established Member

What to do? want to App Spree strategically

ok I need some opinions.  I want to get a couple of cc to replace my rebuilder cards(AF) to carry in my wallet.  I want to app somewhere that my chances are better off getting 5k limit or more. Cash back rewards are better for me as I don't travel.  (I'm not eligible for penfed or NFCU Smiley Sad  ). My scores are in my siggy and here is a breakdown of my credit report. Currently at 9% util never more than that on one card or all cards combined.  I'm a full USAA member and a member of my local CU.  Also I'm nervous about closing my starter cards until I have adequate credit limits on new cards. 

cap1 $500 lmt opened 12/01/09

cap1 $750 lmt opened 09/01/10

first prem $375 lmt opened 3/01/09

first prem $475 lmt opened 10/01/09

USAA $10,500 lmt opened 06/01/12

auto loan $14,785 opened 5/01/10

auto loan $11,291 opened 10/01/08

4 inquiries in last two years on EQ EX.  And 6 on TU

AAoA 3yrs 1mo.

Starting Score: 664
Current Score: 738 EQ Beacon 6/11
721 EX fair isaac V2 6/11
727 TU04 6/11

Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Re: What to do? want to App Spree strategically

Unfortunately, the CL is based on income ( what they feel you can afford). I have had the best luck of getting larger CL from Citi and Discover than any other company. Avoid capital 1 at all costs. I also love my Chase Freedom card, but that has the lowest CL of all my cards. Dont worry too much about the CL on the newer cards (unless you plan on some big ticket purchases) and worry more about your AAoA being damaged. The longer the card has been open, the more damage it will do. Your score will begin to heal itself once your new cards start aging.  

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 2 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ontheuptick wrote:

ok I need some opinions.  I want to get a couple of cc to replace my rebuilder cards(AF) to carry in my wallet.  I want to app somewhere that my chances are better off getting 5k limit or more. Cash back rewards are better for me as I don't travel.  (I'm not eligible for penfed or NFCU Smiley Sad  ). My scores are in my siggy and here is a breakdown of my credit report. Currently at 9% util never more than that on one card or all cards combined.  I'm a full USAA member and a member of my local CU.  Also I'm nervous about closing my starter cards until I have adequate credit limits on new cards. 

cap1 $500 lmt opened 12/01/09

cap1 $750 lmt opened 09/01/10

first prem $375 lmt opened 3/01/09

first prem $475 lmt opened 10/01/09

USAA $10,500 lmt opened 06/01/12

auto loan $14,785 opened 5/01/10

auto loan $11,291 opened 10/01/08

4 inquiries in last two years on EQ EX.  And 6 on TU

AAoA 3yrs 1mo.

I'd be axing both of those FP cards ASAP, they have done their time helping you.

Also, you may want to consider gardening for at least 6 months with that new USAA account and then trying Discover/Citi.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 17
ontheuptick
Established Member

@cmthomas06 wrote:

Unfortunately, the CL is based on income ( what they feel you can afford). I have had the best luck of getting larger CL from Citi and Discover than any other company. Avoid capital 1 at all costs. I also love my Chase Freedom card, but that has the lowest CL of all my cards. Dont worry too much about the CL on the newer cards (unless you plan on some big ticket purchases) and worry more about your AAoA being damaged. The longer the card has been open, the more damage it will do. Your score will begin to heal itself once your new cards start aging.  

thank you my income is about 53k a year

Starting Score: 664
Current Score: 738 EQ Beacon 6/11
721 EX fair isaac V2 6/11
727 TU04 6/11

Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Then you should be fine getting a nice CL. Try the Discover More card- it gives you 5% cash back on revolving categories and 0% APR for 15 months

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 5 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Apping for Discover More and closing out your two First Premier accounts,  they are no longer hlping you.   After that, garden for 6 months and start looking at Amex, Chase, or Citi, Also, you may be able to pick up more than one USAA account, after you have sufficiently gardened with the first one.  

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 17
Ron1
Super Contributor

Try to go for USAA Amex if you already have USAA World MC. It is a good choice to get or Amex Zync.

Ron.
Message 7 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

USAA Amex or Amex Zync would be good choices!

FICO 9:

Message 8 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

USAA Amex or Amex Zync would be good choices!

I have to ask, why USAA Amex assuming cash back or rewards version?  Sure, no AF, sure, perhaps another high CL, and perhaps a nice low APR if you tend to carry a balance; however, to reach that 1.25% cash back reward category you have to have an annual spend of 17K on the card =/.  On the USAA rewards it appears to be even less value from my casual glance: is there something I'm missing here?

Edit: I know it's comparative, whatever rewards value w/no AF, vs rewards w/AF and your aggregate spend; however, with 1500 in ancillarly expenses per month I'd think one could earn more from many other equivalent difficultly tradelines to obtain?

        
Message 9 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

USAA would likely give you another high limit card.  Amex Zync for future backdating purposes and to get your foot in the door later on. But again, if your EX score is low, I wouldn't app for Zync until you've gardened for a while. Right now your ability to get really superb rewards cards is going to be hampered by your scores.  Most really nice rewards cards are reserved for applicants in the super prime catagory.

FICO 9:

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.