Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do....what to do???

tag
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: What to do....what to do???

Edit: if you are getting a mortgage, try not to close them yet. Old accounts do make a difference sometimes and the bank will be able to see where you started and where you are nowSmiley Happy
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 11 of 26
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

O...will it matter how low the card limit is? Does even having it make some lenders cautious? Ik it sounds silly but i keep thinking that when i app they see merrick and orchard and it some how bias their decision to approve or at what limits :-()

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 26
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:
Since those are very tiny limits and your other cards are huge, I'd personally close them down. Anyone approving you in the future would be likely to grant you higher limits if you do imo

This is not always true. I have US Bank, Chase, and American Express at 1000 and First National Bank of Omaha granted a 10000 limit. Citi gave 5000 and 6500.

Message 13 of 26
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Wow, that's a huge difference. I always thought the rule of thumb was smaller limits gets smaller limits? i guess its one of those ymmv things?

Message 14 of 26
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@shorrttyycm1 wrote:
Wow, that's a huge difference. I always thought the rule of thumb was smaller limits gets smaller limits? i guess its one of those ymmv things?

Well, like you, I have multiple other cards with higher limits. No one, but the lenders, really know what they do to determine a credit limit. If you have a nice long history, with perfect payment history, and no inquiries, you are more likely to get a higher limit. Do not forget that income is also a facotr they take into consideration. I would close them only because of the annual fee. Maybe you can ring and try to get the annual fee waived? I believe someone said they were able to do that with Orchard Bank.

Message 15 of 26
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Great i will give it a try...thnx for advice much appreciated!!

Message 16 of 26
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Here's the thing: NavFed is really generous with its limits so they aren't really useful in judging creditworthiness. Please don't take that the wrong way but I've read tons of posts here where they gave people $5-6K limits where normal lenders would only trust them with secured.

Personally, I'd close any AF cards and garden for a year or more. From what we've read here, some lenders dislike re-builder credit card companies like Merrick. The good payment history will remain on record 10 years. Since they were only opened a few months apart the AOAA probably won't be affected too much.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 17 of 26
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Not offended...NFCU is generous and I have definitely benefited in that aspect..& cs is OUTSTANDING. but back to the post...
that's pretty much what i thought, like having merrick could actually hurt me on apps? I wish i knew for sure but as someone else posted u just dnt know.

Message 18 of 26
Open123
Super Contributor

@shorrttyycm1 wrote:
Not offended...NFCU is generous and I have definitely benefited in that aspect..& cs is OUTSTANDING. but back to the post...
that's pretty much what i thought, like having merrick could actually hurt me on apps? I wish i knew for sure but as someone else posted u just dnt know.

Two things:

1.  AF cards *only* make sense if you value the rewards or need it for a purpose, such as rebuilding.

2.  Some issuers--namely Amex--may decline an application if they see certain subprime creditors, such as First Premier.

All things being equal, there is *no* reason I can think to pay a fee for a small limit card once the rebuilding process is underway.  The sooner you purge them, the better off you will be in the future.

Message 19 of 26
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@shorrttyycm1 wrote:

I'm glad you understood the intent!

I've seen a few threads where people were really confused about why company X wouldn't match their NFCU limits.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.