Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with 620k Amex MR points?

tag
willwar14
Valued Contributor

What to do with 620k Amex MR points?

Between me, and my parents we have just about 620k MR points, and we have been planning a family trip and wondering what would be the best use of these points?

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with 620k Amex MR points?

@willwar14 wrote:

Between me, and my parents we have just about 620k MR points, and we have been planning a family trip and wondering what would be the best use of these points?

Simple.  Each get the enhanced biz plat, that way you get 50% rebate on points, book all travel through amex, guaranteed redemption of 2cpp. Not to mention the incidentals, added MR point earning cats, etc.

This question would also be answered nicely in reddit.com/r/awardtravel

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

Simple.  Each get the enhanced biz plat, that way you get 50% rebate on points, book all travel through amex, guaranteed redemption of 2cpp. Not to mention the incidentals, added MR point earning cats, etc.

Or an even better idea is that in the spirit of Christmas giving, the points could be donated to me 😀

Message 3 of 5
Berk
Established Contributor

Aaarrrgggghhhh! You beat me to it, Irish!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

In all seriousness the Amex business card now does more options than before but couple points.  One, it is a business card and while Amex is pretty loose in what constitutes a 'business', you still need to have one or else you're committing fraud.  Second, while 2 cpp is certainly good, if you plan on flying international and in business or first class, it is very easy to get a much higher redemption rate if you transfer the points to an airline partner and are able to book flights with that airline or one of their partners (this is often overlooked).  I just came back from Australia and I was able to use MR points for one leg of my trip in first class for two people at 7 cpp.  Though I will be first to admit that for some travel locations finding award flights for 3 or people can be very difficult, if not impossible.

OP, you and your family should try and narrow down some choices for potential travel before going much further because in reality your question is far too vague to give much advice.

Also keep in mind that the points cannot be transferred either to or from your parents accounts or their travel partners.  Amex only allows points transfer to the travel partners of spouses or domestic partners.  So you all will have to book whatever travel you do separately.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.