What to do with AMEX Green?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: What to do with AMEX Green?

Seems to be a misconception about Green here and the rewards

Green gets the same MR points as Gold and Plat 

It just doesn't earn them as fast at 1 point per $1

Whereas Gold and Plat earn extra points on certain categories... I.E. travel, gas etc etc 

The MB card is also MR points 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Shock_ wrote:

I would have apped for the PRG had I known it is/was the same underwriting as the Green. I got the Green for the sole purpose of establishing a relationship with AMEX, and to eventually get a revolver. Mission accomplished with my BCE. Now contemplating what to do..

My Amex Green is 6 months old. I like the PRG but I dont think my spend will negate the annual fee. But I have read of people who got their fees waived simply by asking..in that sense I would want a PRG...but I know I probably couldnt do that every year.

Does a charge card look good as "diverse" on a credit report, e.g. having CC's, store cards, and a charge card?

@yudeology101 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Your call.  If you want recommendations you need to provide a lot more info.  Why did you app for the green if you don't care for the AF or lack of rewards?  Look at your spend and the rewards earn and redemption rates on the PRG to see if it would mitigate or exceed the AF.  Consider the senior green as well.

+1  How long have you had the Green?  I would wait until right before your AF is about to hit and see if you can PC it to PRG w/ signup bonus.  To me, the signup bonus offers for the PRG can justify the AF as I can use those points for whatever I like (booking airfare, buy stuff, etc.) so that's what I'm waiting to do.  I've apped for the Green from receiving the pre-selected offer in the mail, i should've known to app for the PRG instead.  Anyways, it's your call. 

I always thought amex was unlikely to waive AFs. Have many people had luck getting their fee waived?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 17
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Whereas Gold and Plat earn extra points on certain categories... I.E. travel, gas etc etc 

@myjourney wrote:

This is true too. But it makes 1% back unattractive since I have other cards for gas, groceries, etc.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 13 of 17
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Dont mean to jump topics but will the Zync ever come back?

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 14 of 17
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@Shock_ wrote:

I would have apped for the PRG had I known it is/was the same underwriting as the Green. I got the Green for the sole purpose of establishing a relationship with AMEX, and to eventually get a revolver. Mission accomplished with my BCE. Now contemplating what to do..

My Amex Green is 6 months old. I like the PRG but I dont think my spend will negate the annual fee. But I have read of people who got their fees waived simply by asking..in that sense I would want a PRG...but I know I probably couldnt do that every year.

Does a charge card look good as "diverse" on a credit report, e.g. having CC's, store cards, and a charge card?

@yudeology101 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Your call.  If you want recommendations you need to provide a lot more info.  Why did you app for the green if you don't care for the AF or lack of rewards?  Look at your spend and the rewards earn and redemption rates on the PRG to see if it would mitigate or exceed the AF.  Consider the senior green as well.

+1  How long have you had the Green?  I would wait until right before your AF is about to hit and see if you can PC it to PRG w/ signup bonus.  To me, the signup bonus offers for the PRG can justify the AF as I can use those points for whatever I like (booking airfare, buy stuff, etc.) so that's what I'm waiting to do.  I've apped for the Green from receiving the pre-selected offer in the mail, i should've known to app for the PRG instead.  Anyways, it's your call. 

Im in this exact same boat.  I wanted to get in with AMEX so I went for what I thought was the easiest and got a Green Charge Card then apped for the Gold Delta CC.  Now that I know the underwriting criteria is the same for all Charge Cards I wish I would have gone for the PRG or Platinum.  I travel enough that even with the now stripped down perks I think the $450 AF of the Plat could be justified.  

The big problem is every signup bonus I see says you are ineligable If you have had an AMEX Charge Card within the last 13 months.  So even though I didn't receive any kind of bonus with the green it looks like Im excluded from the 25,000 MR bonus currently offered on the PRG or Plat.  

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:

@Shock_ wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Im in this exact same boat.  I wanted to get in with AMEX so I went for what I thought was the easiest and got a Green Charge Card then apped for the Gold Delta CC.  Now that I know the underwriting criteria is the same for all Charge Cards I wish I would have gone for the PRG or Platinum.  I travel enough that even with the now stripped down perks I think the $450 AF of the Plat could be justified.  

The big problem is every signup bonus I see says you are ineligable If you have had an AMEX Charge Card within the last 13 months.  So even though I didn't receive any kind of bonus with the green it looks like Im excluded from the 25,000 MR bonus currently offered on the PRG or Plat.  

That is a rough situation to be in. What perks would make the plat card of use for you? If your into lounge access I would maybe cancel the green and get an airline club card for your favorite airline and then after the year cancel it and once 13 months has passed get the plat with the bonus. I got the prg to get my foot in the door with amex. The MR bonus will be useful, but I intend to cancel that card before AF at the end of the year, since I now have amex revolvers. For me the amex charge cards AFs don't fit well enough into my travel plans but for others they are useful.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 17
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

@Shock_ wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

That is a rough situation to be in. What perks would make the plat card of use for you? If your into lounge access I would maybe cancel the green and get an airline club card for your favorite airline and then after the year cancel it and once 13 months has passed get the plat with the bonus. I got the prg to get my foot in the door with amex. The MR bonus will be useful, but I intend to cancel that card before AF at the end of the year, since I now have amex revolvers. For me the amex charge cards AFs don't fit well enough into my travel plans but for others they are useful.  

I have the Amex Delta CC too but it doesn't give free lounge access. The lounge access is a big plus for the Platinum card, because of where I live I don't really have the option for direct flights, I've found the layovers much more tolerable with free drinks. Not being able to bring guest into the Delta SkyClubs anymore is a bummer but between the Priority Pass lounges and the Centurion lounge in Vegas I feel like I could get atleast $250 in value (I'll be going to Vegas twice in the next 4 months). The $200 statement credit will be easy to use as well.  That takes care of the AF and anything else I use will be gravy, I don't spend a whole lot so accruing MR points will be of limited value.  I like having a Charge Card so in essence the AF for the plat card is $355 becasue I plan on having at least the green card. 

March will be 1 year for the green card so I may call and plead my case to the CSR and see if I can get some kind of signup bonus.  I know they have been giving various bonuses to current Plat members to make up for the removal of AA and US Air lounge access.  It may be a good time to ask for it. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.