Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with AMEX Green?

tag
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

What to do with AMEX Green?

I hate how it doesnt have rewards..95  dollar AF due in August. I like the PRG rewards but I hate the $175 dollar annual fee...

Should I close?

Upgrade? Even with the hefty fee, I like the 3x travel and 2x gas/groceries

I have also heard of calling AMEX and they give the AF back in a statement credit or rewards points...

Advice?

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do with AMEX Green?

Your call.  If you want recommendations you need to provide a lot more info.  Why did you app for the green if you don't care for the AF or lack of rewards?  Look at your spend and the rewards earn and redemption rates on the PRG to see if it would mitigate or exceed the AF.  Consider the senior green as well.

Message 2 of 17
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Your call.  If you want recommendations you need to provide a lot more info.  Why did you app for the green if you don't care for the AF or lack of rewards?  Look at your spend and the rewards earn and redemption rates on the PRG to see if it would mitigate or exceed the AF.  Consider the senior green as well.

+1  How long have you had the Green?  I would wait until right before your AF is about to hit and see if you can PC it to PRG w/ signup bonus.  To me, the signup bonus offers for the PRG can justify the AF as I can use those points for whatever I like (booking airfare, buy stuff, etc.) so that's what I'm waiting to do.  I've apped for the Green from receiving the pre-selected offer in the mail, i should've known to app for the PRG instead.  Anyways, it's your call. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 17
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

I would have apped for the PRG had I known it is/was the same underwriting as the Green. I got the Green for the sole purpose of establishing a relationship with AMEX, and to eventually get a revolver. Mission accomplished with my BCE. Now contemplating what to do..

My Amex Green is 6 months old. I like the PRG but I dont think my spend will negate the annual fee. But I have read of people who got their fees waived simply by asking..in that sense I would want a PRG...but I know I probably couldnt do that every year.

Does a charge card look good as "diverse" on a credit report, e.g. having CC's, store cards, and a charge card?

@yudeology101 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

+1  How long have you had the Green?  I would wait until right before your AF is about to hit and see if you can PC it to PRG w/ signup bonus.  To me, the signup bonus offers for the PRG can justify the AF as I can use those points for whatever I like (booking airfare, buy stuff, etc.) so that's what I'm waiting to do.  I've apped for the Green from receiving the pre-selected offer in the mail, i should've known to app for the PRG instead.  Anyways, it's your call. 

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 4 of 17
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@Shock_ wrote:

I hate how it doesnt have rewards..95  dollar AF due in August. I like the PRG rewards but I hate the $175 dollar annual fee...

Should I close?

I have also heard of calling AMEX and they give the AF back in a statement credit or rewards points...

Advice?

You could always switch to the Amex SENIOR GREEN card.  Only $35.00 per year but no Membership Rewards.

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 5 of 17
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

I have the same problem with Green, I applied for Green and BCP same day, I never thought I could get both instantly, I never actully use my Green especially after my SPG was approved. I think I will just close it later this year if they can not upgrade it with a sign up bonus.

Message 6 of 17
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Shock_ wrote:

Should I close?

Advice?

Closing it won't affect your AAoA, since it stays on your CR for up to 10 years, and it won't affect your utilization, since presumably FICO doesn't use charge cards in that respect. So, if you don't get any use out of it, it won't hurt you to close it. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Transmogrifying_Bee wrote:

@Shock_ wrote:

Should I close?

Advice?

You could always switch to the Amex SENIOR GREEN card.  Only $35.00 per year but no Membership Rewards.

One can get the Senior Green for the $35 AF, PLUS having MR points by paying an additional $40 fee.  So basically you reduce your cost from $95 to $75 AF for a Senior Green with MR. 

Same formula also applies to the Gold, if you want to consider that route.  The Senior Gold card is $55, adding $40 for the MR points makes the cost of a Senior Gold card with MR at $95 versus $125 for the standard Gold card or $175 for the PRG card. 

Message 8 of 17
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

What exactly is a senior green card? Do you have to be a senior? or is it just a lower AF version which is less publicized?

Message 9 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Shock_ wrote:

What exactly is a senior green card? Do you have to be a senior? or is it just a lower AF version which is less publicized?

Pretty much.  While searches indicate that one must be 62 or older to get it (that was the original intent), anecdotally, there are folks here and at other forums younger than 62 who have the card. 

https://web.aexp-static.com/us/content/pdf/cardmember-agreements/senior-green/SeniorGreen.pdf

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.