cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with BOA secured card!

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do with BOA secured card! /UPDATE!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Since you did so well on that call, call them back and ask them to upgrade your card to Cash Rewards - 3% on gas, 2% groceries. I got my formerly secured card upgraded to Cash Rewards with no HP, but if they want a HP for you tell them to use the one they just pulled.

How exactly did you do it Dave? I actually just posted a thread asking this. Did you have to go unsecured first? Did you get a CLI first? Or did you just call and request the upgrade?

I'm trying to avoid a hard pull and was hoping to just get a CLI or an Upgrade to the Cash Awards automatically but I guess that isn't going to happen. I am going on 14 months with this thing and not even an auto CLI. I have the button but I did not want to risk the hard pull.

Sorry I missed your thread. I called in and got my secured card unsecured around 8 months in. I asked at the time if it was eligible for a CLI & was told that would be a HP, so I declined. I also asked if it was eligible for rewards and was told no. I just did the minimum $300 deposit, so the CL remained the same. With such a low CL & no rewards I just tossed it $30-$50 a month in charges, Netflix, etc. After a year or so I got an auto CLI to $1800, so I called in again and asked about rewards and the rep told me I qualified for an upgrade to Cash Rewards with no HP, which I gladly accepted. I included 1 CC with BoA in my 2010 BK7, I'd never done business with them, they acquired it from a lender they acquired after the 2008 financial crises. I switched banking to them in early 2016 when my small town bank closed, so I wanted to get back in with BoA but wasn't in any great rush and I took my time.

Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.