Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with Cap 1 cards

tag
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

What to do with Cap 1 cards

When I started my credit rebuilding project in summer of 2011, I was in the low 500, no open accounts and bunch of derogs including a public record. Today, I am now over 700 with only one derog remaining, a paid CO.

Back then in 2011 I applied and got an unsecurded $500 Cap1 rewards card... 2 months later I got $1000 MC Platinum. Now, 2.5 years later these cards are at 1000 and 2000. Never skipped a beat with them. Always use them a lot and pay them. I also have a nice Chase Freedom and Citi Thank you cards, which I like more than Cap1 cards...

My question is, what can I do with them. I have little to no use for a $1000 and $2000 cards. Can I "merge" them into a single better card?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: What to do with Cap 1 cards

Unfortunately, you cannot combine CL's with Cap 1. I would suggest contacting the Executive a Office and request an increase.

To find the email address, do a search here on the forum for a Cap One Executive Office.
Message 2 of 10
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

Thanks...

I just chatted with a rep online. Said I have upgrade offers available on both cars to QuickSilverOne cards... Basically same exact thing I have now but instead of 2% and 1% rewards brackets based on type of purchase its 1.5% across the board. Limit, APR and fees are the same. Not much of an upgrade so I turned it down. Will write to EO I guess. Quicksilver and Venture is what I would go for.

Message 3 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 10
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

I have asked the EO several times about card merging. The answer was a firm "no" every time I asked. They want us to keep paying those redick annual fess and high APRs. That, combined with low risk (AKA giving out $300 lines to people with 700+ scores) is how they stay in business.
Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Join the rebuild club. Cap1 helps us start our credit life or rebuild. However, for most posters (one's I have read anyway) the adventure stops there. Cap1 lets us all escape to prime banks and cards. Why? Closed six of their cards over time and moved on (high CL $10.6K). Most unfortunate but it is their choice. CB's took very minor score reductions. Also, good scores report for ten years more or less so it is not all lost.
Message 6 of 10
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

Call EO and ask if you can PC to a better card like QuickSilver (1.5% on everything & No AF). It didn't work for me but maybe you'll have better luck.
[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 7 of 10
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

They did offer me to upgrade to QuicksilverOne on both accounts from regular Rewards MC and PLatinum MC. But it does not see like much of an upgrade. Other than 1.5% back across the board vs 1% on some stuff and 2% on other. No CL increase, no better APR. 

Message 8 of 10
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

I reached out to EO via Facebook. They called me back. I explained to them that I have 2 Cap1 cars. $1000 Cash Rewards and $2000 Platinum MC. I told them that I really want the cards to grow and that I only had QuicksilverOne with annual fee offers available on both and that it would be silly to have 2 identical cards with a total of $3000 CL. Chatted with the lady on the phone for a good half hour. She was very nice and understanding. In the end she upgrade my $2000 Platinum MC to QuicksilverOne without fee and bumped the CL to $3000. I left the Cash Reward card as is for now but she also bumped it to $3000. All in all, I am happy. Got more Credit Limit and no fee. Just wanted to share with everyone here that FB EO route works.

Message 9 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@RussianPassion wrote:

I reached out to EO via Facebook. They called me back. I explained to them that I have 2 Cap1 cars. $1000 Cash Rewards and $2000 Platinum MC. I told them that I really want the cards to grow and that I only had QuicksilverOne with annual fee offers available on both and that it would be silly to have 2 identical cards with a total of $3000 CL. Chatted with the lady on the phone for a good half hour. She was very nice and understanding. In the end she upgrade my $2000 Platinum MC to QuicksilverOne without fee and bumped the CL to $3000. I left the Cash Reward card as is for now but she also bumped it to $3000. All in all, I am happy. Got more Credit Limit and no fee. Just wanted to share with everyone here that FB EO route works.

You did Great! Congrats!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.