cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with a useless American Express Clear?

tag
TM82
Regular Contributor

Re: What to do with a useless American Express Clear?

@Scuba wrote:

Even though I have closed a few cards lately, I do have a few AMEX cards because I want an immediate 10+ year history. 

If it was me, I'd keep the card until I could get a better card from them and then they will back-date that card to help your AAOA.

The thing is that I have all the cards from them that appeal to me. Have the Blue Cash, have the Premier Rewards. Even had a Platinum before I canceled it out of dissatisfaction with them promising me 50,000 points and then only giving me 25,000. The only one that I would consider is the Costco True Earnings and only for the sake of consolidating my Costco membership into 1 card and even then it would only be used at Costco and gas. My member since date with them is only 2006 so it's not like it would add a ton of years and as it stands on my reports I already have 4 cards with them with 6 years of history. In the sock drawer it goes!
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:
AMEX backdates to the Year of your first opened account.

Any card opened after that shows a dated opened of the actual month it was
Opened, with the year of the member since date.

Aww, man! Wish I'd gotten a Zync in december.

Message 12 of 15
getahead
Regular Contributor

@TM82 wrote:

Update

I called today during work and spoke to a nice rep who was able to help me.  At first she tried to move over 5k from the Cleare to the Blue Cash to make it an even 10k line but it came back with an error that said the lowest line possible to be kept on a card is $500.  Then I realized that I have 2,275 Clear points and at 2,500 I would get another $25 gift card.  It's not much but hey I would hate to forfeit 2,275 points.  So I kept the Clear open for the time being, went home and ordered $225 worth of Costco gift cards.  I'll wait for those points to point, get my $25 Clear rewards card, then either cancel or just keep it in the sockdrawer and not really care if they end up closing it since I'll be losing a $500 line.  I'll keep the Blue Cash open by putting my Netflix or something on it and set it to autopay. 

I just hate the fact that my Blue Cash shows a CL of $9,700 and wish they could've just given me a courtesy bump up to $10,000, lol.

wow, I so wish I could sd a amex card, one day.

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690
Goal Score: 700 Club

Message 13 of 15
TM82
Regular Contributor

@getahead wrote:

@TM82 wrote:

Update

I called today during work and spoke to a nice rep who was able to help me.  At first she tried to move over 5k from the Cleare to the Blue Cash to make it an even 10k line but it came back with an error that said the lowest line possible to be kept on a card is $500.  Then I realized that I have 2,275 Clear points and at 2,500 I would get another $25 gift card.  It's not much but hey I would hate to forfeit 2,275 points.  So I kept the Clear open for the time being, went home and ordered $225 worth of Costco gift cards.  I'll wait for those points to point, get my $25 Clear rewards card, then either cancel or just keep it in the sockdrawer and not really care if they end up closing it since I'll be losing a $500 line.  I'll keep the Blue Cash open by putting my Netflix or something on it and set it to autopay. 

I just hate the fact that my Blue Cash shows a CL of $9,700 and wish they could've just given me a courtesy bump up to $10,000, lol.

wow, I so wish I could sd a amex card, one day.

You'll get there soon. My credit wasn't great out of college while looking for a job. Even had a BoA close by credit grantor with a $9,000 balance on it after it reported 60 days late for 3 months. I think my score hit a low of around 620 or so. But after that day I put everything on auto pay, took advantage of the 30-60 day float to get by, and just let the payment draw from my account. I didn't worry about balance reporting or paying down my balance to a certain percentage to report a certain utilization. I told myself that I would allow myself to pay interest on that 1 card only and the rest would become PIF. I was fortunate that even after the card was closed that my other lenders didn't do AA. I still have a balance left of around $3,500 but in less than 2 years my score went from 620s or so to 760 and that's only because I just took on a auto lease for my wife, and added 3 cards to my portfolio in the last 5 months.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 14 of 15
Smug
Established Contributor

I opened mine last year for that reason
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.