Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with an old store card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with an old store card?

That's some cool development Smiley Happy. Congrats!
Message 11 of 17
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Wow....I "had" one for years, had tossed the card but it still reported.  If only I had known!  I'd have a 15-ish yo TL.  *sigh*
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 12 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

Nice work!!!!! Smiley Happy
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 13 of 17
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

I opened my JCPenny card in 2009 with only a $150 limit and they wouldn't give me a CLI until i've had the card a few months and made use of it.  Anyway, after reading posts here, I had the card closed and had myself added as an AU on my husband's JCPenny card and it instantly gave me a 29 YEAR Tradeline!!!  Before then my oldest account was 11 years, so by the end of this year, my AAoA will be right up there with the high achievers, 6 years.  It's still low considering my oldest reporting account but only because I went on an app spree in 2009 and have a lot of recently opened accounts. 

Starting Score: EQ 729, TU 752, EX ? (1/1/2011)
Current Score: EQ 696, TU 718, EX 686 - PSECU (5/17/2011)
Goal Score: ALL 800+ by December 31, 2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!
Message 14 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

BungalowMo wrote:
Wow....I "had" one for years, had tossed the card but it still reported.  If only I had known!  I'd have a 15-ish yo TL.  *sigh*

MO- why not call and see if they still have your acct open/ info and go ahead and request a new card if so!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 15 of 17
Woolfman
Established Contributor

hmm My wife has had a jc penney card on her report for almost 12 yrs now that up until last year she had forgot about. Reports as open . By reading this thread i am gathering . jc penney reports AU's?

If so this might be good for my AAOA!!.. So if anyone knows by experience about AU and jc penney  .. please let me know 

thank you!

Message 16 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

FWIW, for those who have a surprise account still reporting as open, when they thought it was long dead, the tactic is to call to say that the magnetic strip doesn't work/ the dog chewed it up/ you can't read the numbers any more, and can they please send you a new one? Don't know about the dog part, but if you have no clue where the card is, it is technically true that the magnetic strip isn't working (because you can't swipe the card) and that you can't read the numbers (because you can't see the card.)

Don't ask if the account is still open (let them give you the bad news if it's closed), and don't say that you lost the card. Just say that you need a replacement. The aliens took it when they last took you on the Mother Ship and probed you.

* looks around and whistles *

Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.