Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with my BofA 1-2-3 card?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

What to do with my BofA 1-2-3 card?

So, I loved Bank of America and loved having my bank accounts and credit card with them and using it for everyday purchases because of the ease of transferring accounts. Well they totally screwed me over and took over $2000 out my account to cover some screw up my sister did. So I took the rest of the money and opened an account at the credit union. Now I have such a bad taste in my mouth I don't even want to use the credit card, plus the benefits of the customer bonus is gone and I don't even care to worry about BankAmerideals. It's my biggest credit line but I'm thinking about closing it and cutting all ties. In which case I guess I'd like another gas/groceries card that gives cash, not points. (Sallie Maes out) I just don't know at this point
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with my BofA 1-2-3 card?

@icyhot wrote:
So, I loved Bank of America and loved having my bank accounts and credit card with them and using it for everyday purchases because of the ease of transferring accounts. Well they totally screwed me over and took over $2000 out my account to cover some screw up my sister did. So I took the rest of the money and opened an account at the credit union. Now I have such a bad taste in my mouth I don't even want to use the credit card, plus the benefits of the customer bonus is gone and I don't even care to worry about BankAmerideals. It's my biggest credit line but I'm thinking about closing it and cutting all ties. In which case I guess I'd like another gas/groceries card that gives cash, not points. (Sallie Maes out) I just don't know at this point

it doesnt have an annual fee.... for one... two, if you have a bank of america checking account still open you could get 10% bonus on top.

frankly, if I were you.... I would leave the card open, SD it for now, find out how BOA is about moving limits, and maybe apply for a Better Balance Rewards, and then try for a 2nd under the same inquiry.

You have plenty of other great cards to use, but your scores (like mine) arent really high enough to just go for anything we want.

Don't act on impulse.  The $2000, could you get this money back from small claims court? I am really tight with my family too, and have on multiple occasions cosigned things for them, but have stopped doing this after advice from myfico.

I mean yeah, looking at your long game (is that the right wording lol?) you could close it and move along and be fine..... but if you have the spending to support it  I would just run all your gas through the card for now and pair that with extra cents off a gallon coupons and use gas buddy app to find the cheapest gas!

Too many choices. TLDR: dont act on impulse, wait a few weeks before you decide. You are in the right place for help at least. Sorry for your family member money issue!

Message 2 of 30
icyhot
Valued Contributor

My sister is a minor, court isn't an option. My scores have gotten way better, but I do have the HHonors for gas and such, it's not a priority to get another card to replace it. I think I will SD and let it close on its own. I don't really want a BBR card
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 3 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Agreed. Dont act on impulse. It has no fee. Just SD it. Put it away. Wait a few weeks and see how you feel. We've all closed a card before and regretted it. Dont rush it.
Message 4 of 30
yfan
Valued Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

Well, there's no harm in leaving the account open for as long as they will let you without activity.

As for another gas/groeceries card that isn't Sallie Mae, the Amex BCE is pretty close to the BofA Cash Rewards, with the gas and grocery categories flipped.

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all how is it BofA's fault that your sister did something that screwed you over? Were you on a joint act that went negative and they took money from another account to cover it? It's not the banks fault.

Message 6 of 30
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I never said it was "their" fault but that doesn't change that I don't wanna do business with them

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

First of all how is it BofA's fault that your sister did something that screwed you over? Were you on a joint act that went negative and they took money from another account to cover it? It's not the banks fault.

Agreed. Sorry that this happened due to your sisters bad judgement. I appearently don't know the entire story, but the bank is just trying to get what is owed to them. 

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

icyhot wrote:
I never said it was "their" fault but that doesn't change that I don't wanna do business with them

------

Isn't saying "they totally screwed me over" placing blame? What exactly happened?

edit: that was meant for OP not futcrna 

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't the first time OP has posted financial issues with family. Time to separate your family from your finance.
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.