Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with my BofA 1-2-3 card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with my BofA 1-2-3 card?

it's why I always tell folks, any that would listen, not to have joint accounts..even married folks..there's benefits of having separate account save joint to pay expenses out of and that would be a clearing house type of account

perhaps it was the way bofa handled it that also played a factor..I know I have had some pretty horrid experiences with bofa (and this is when I worked at their offices..) from a customer point of view..their call center workers are horrible..can't speak for branch because I rarely go in..only once to close my accounts and the banker didn't give me a hard time because he was probably one foot out the door

in any case,

if I were you OP, and you really want to kick it to them you can close the card.

or you can keep it open and just have a monthly or quarterly or bi annual charge on it to keep it open.

keeps your credit profile up

and honestly there's little to none in swipe fees they can collect so it's really costing them $$ to maintain it
Message 11 of 30
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Sister gave her account info to a scammer, they deposited the check, spent the money, bank took the money back. Bam. -$3000 balance. I didn't know about the negative balance until last week. Also didn't know they'd be drafting money out my account. Terrible experience overall
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 30
myjourney
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Sister gave her account info to ascammer, they deposited the check, spent the money, bank took the money back.Bam. -$3000 balance. I didn't know about the negative balance until last week. Also didn't know they'd be drafting money out my account. Terrible experience overall

icyhot you really need to sit down and assess your entire credit profile and exit everyone else OUT OF IT .....(yesterday)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Sister gave her account info to a scammer, they deposited the check, spent the money, bank took the money back. Bam. -$3000 balance. I didn't know about the negative balance until last week. Also didn't know they'd be drafting money out my account. Terrible experience overall

Your family clearly burns you when it comes to finances yet you keep going back for more!

Seperate your finances and your family. This has nothing to do with BOA or closing your Cash Rewards. It's not BOA's fault. Look at the bigger picture.

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is the second time she gave her info to a scammer? Along with your mother running up your balances? I don't think we're getting the whole story. I get your mad at BOA but it's really not their fault.
Message 15 of 30
slicemans
Regular Contributor

What does the scammer have to do with the credit card?

Message 16 of 30
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Lol I guess I'm not explaining it clearly. No this isn't the second time. It's all the same time as before but I didn't know the account was overdrawn. Like I said its not BOAs fault and the card is in good standing but I have no need for it if I'm not a banking customer cuz that's why I used it as much as I did. I'll just stick with Citi
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 17 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@icyhot wrote:
Lol I guess I'm not explaining it clearly. No this isn't the second time. It's all the same time as before but I didn't know the account was overdrawn. Like I said its not BOAs fault and the card is in good standing but I have no need for it if I'm not a banking customer cuz that's why I used it as much as I did. I'll just stick with Citi

Were you even a BOA banking customer before you got approved for the $500 rebuilder MC?  It was all the rave and excitement when you got the CLI and then got approved for Fidelity AMEX only to consolidate to your BOA Cash Rewards later.  I think you're projecting your anger toward the wrong situation by closing the card (or contemplating its fate).  I guarantee that if you had not involved your family member into the whole financial situation, then this conversation wouldn't be taking place since you would still have your checking account (in the positive) and the BOA card.

By all means, if you want to close your card, it's entirely up to you.  Other member have provided valuable advice with keeping it open.  Even if you've moved your $$ to a CU, you can still use their bill pay service to pay the BOA card.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/OFFICIALLY-DONE/m-p/3961496/highlight/true#M1110214

Message 18 of 30
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I've been a BofA customer since I was 17 so yes. The "if I had done this" thing is kinda irrelevant since it did happen so I am dealing with it. I'm just contemplating not dealing with BofA on any level. Regardless if it's the banks "fault." I don't have to continue my business anywhere that I had a negative experience. think I have the prerogative to do that.

Message 19 of 30
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I already decided that I'll just SD the card for the CL and no AF and let it close when it wants and move my banking elsewhere

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.