Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with my CSP?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: What to do with my CSP?

Rule #1: Do no harm: PC to standard version or Freedom. Avoid AF. Maintain CL..

After that, it really doesn't matter. You got a 2% for general spending and some nice bonus for everyday stuff. You're in good shape. Anything extra in terms of extra bonus rewards above 2% is just gravy. 

CSP isn't such a great card after you get that sweet sign up bonus....unless you make great use of any of the high-value transfer partners like Hyatt. Of course, if you're a jet-set Points Guy-type  virtuoso, I guess the card can be wielded for great bang for the buck. But for the rest of us who don't fly frequently (5-8 times per year) stay in hotels all the time, it can be tough to justify the AF for the paultry rewards. Yes yes yes: The rewards are TOTALLY AWESOME if you can take advantage in some niche situation but overall, it's underwhelming.

My wife got this card at my urging for the 40k points. She hardly uses it anymore. I'll be getting her to PC out of it soon. But she still has a few months.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 11 of 13
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

KennyS2006 - Which part makes no sense?

I get 2% on everything with the Arrival while on the CSP it's only for Dining and Traveling so why would I split the spending if I still have to pay the AF for the CSP? I don't transfer points nor like to use UR mall to book travel. In order to keep the CSP open I would have to spend around 380/month on dining/travel only just to break even on the AF, that makes absolutely no sense.

ztnjpv - Couldn't agree more!

I'm going to stick with my plan (PC to the sapphire and sock drawer), I posted to see if someone had a better alternative other than PCing but I guess there isnt.

The only reason I won't close it's because it represents 30% of my total CL and my AAOA is very low.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 12 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

KennyS2006 - Which part makes no sense?

I get 2% on everything with the Arrival while on the CSP it's only for Dining and Traveling so why would I split the spending if I still have to pay the AF for the CSP? I don't transfer points nor like to use UR mall to book travel. In order to keep the CSP open I would have to spend around 380/month on dining/travel only just to break even on the AF, that makes absolutely no sense.

ztnjpv - Couldn't agree more!

I'm going to stick with my plan (PC to the sapphire and sock drawer), I posted to see if someone had a better alternative other than PCing but I guess there isnt.

The only reason I won't close it's because it represents 30% of my total CL and my AAOA is very low.

Kenny wasn't referring to your post, more the one that said worry about AAoA and utilization, which wouldn't be impacted by a PC.  His "OP, what...." was separate, asking your plans!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.